Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card or PSU?

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Graphics card or PSU?

ideally you should use something like this http://www.corsair.com/en/psu-finder
to help you find the right psu and yes you would probably want a higher wattage unit, indeed the psu finder tool recommends a 600w or higher rating
however things like this are also usefull
https://www.avforums.com/threads/needing-a-psu.1453855/
wherein you find that your 750w alpine unit is in fact barely able to push out 400w
the CiT psu I linked before might not be the best, but unlike the alpine it is far less likely to take out all the other parts of the pc when it fails....
it might well be that the replacement required will need to be a decent 600w or 650w one and likely double the cost of the alpine you linked to, (cheapest google shopping links for 600w and 650w psu's
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK ordered the 500W one, hopefully it will be OK. If not then I will replace my old GC till next month.
PitchBlack
Grafter

I was in the same boat a few years back HMB, I never really gave much thought to my PSU, I always bought the highest wattage for the cheapest price until I bought a NVidia 560ti. I had a 750 w PSU which when I played games with my new 560TI would crash and reboot the computer. When I looked at the 560ti box it said it needed (from memory) about 32 amp rails and the PSU only had 20. I ended up buying a corsair 650 watt PSU with 38 amp on the rail (I paid over the odds from PC world because I was impatient and didn't want to wait a day or two for it to be delivered) and it has been spot on through my 560ti, 580 lightning, 660ti and now my 970. Its funny how I will spend a fortune on a Motherboard, graphics card and CPU but used to go cheap on the thing that powers it all.
Mav
Fixes: 515

I used to go for cheaper PSUs until I had some issues a few years back.
Eventually I decided it was better to spend a fair bit more on a quality PSU for the same reasons as PitchBlack.
Have had a 750W PSU for quite a few years but have a fair few internal HDDs.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have had up to 5 internal HDD's running on older psu's (Usually 500W ones from ebuyer) with no issues. But this is the first "power" gc I have bought, before I usually spent <£30 on one. But trying to play some games on my old card meant dropping to 1280/720 and still getting low frame rates, so I thought I would splash on a "decent" card. This was just at my credit limit, I was going to get a 740 until I saw this for a couple of quid more. Never thought of the psu, since it was supplied with the box/cpu/mb combo I bought last year.
The fact this gc takes 2 slots is a pita on this mb I did have a 6Gb sata controller in the pci-e slot but it is not covered, so back to the mb sata.
Hopefully this will last me for a few more years as I don't see me being able to upgrade anything for several years to come. (It has 38A on the 12V line as well).
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

In the long run cheap PSU are not saving you money ,  Embarrassed
The PSU is the heart of your PC and should never be skimped on ! as it could end up costing you a new Motherboard or GFX card .
HairyBiker has bought a decent GFX card and would be sad if his PSU Blew and ended up over volting his MB & new card  Embarrassed which does happen !
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Personally in over 30 years of using PC's I have NEVER had a psu blow on me. I have replaced psu's when they were under powered, but never had any fail.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

consider yourself lucky then, I had it happen to me in y2k, the cheap piece of junk psu took out every component in the pc and a few other electrical items fed off the same power bar before the mains fuse popped....
of course as with all such things it couldn't of happened at a worse time, still the repalcements only took 2 months to scavange together, I didn't make the same mistake again with regards to the cheap /free supplied psu's and have always bought a reliable one since (currently I have corsair units in the desktops, partly because they have a 5 year rma period and partly because they provide a guarantee that if it fails and kills anything they will replace it as well as the PSU within that period)
however I've seen several cases of psu's going down and taking out everything in the case .... always its cheaper /free supplied with case type psu's, some people are just lucky enough for it not to happen to them though /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Me to Nanotm Corsair are excellent PSU
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: Hairy
Personally in over 30 years of using PC's I have NEVER had a psu blow on me.

I have had two cheap PSUs blow on me. The first time it took out the MB and GPU.
The second time it tripped the main fuse but no damage to any PC components.
You'd have thought I would have learnt my lesson after the first time Crazy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've had a 750W PSU simply die quietly on me.
I've also had a kettle lead melt on me.
The plug (with 13A fuse) just gave off acrid smoke and melted.
I tried a second lead but nothing happened - so I used it as an excuse to buy a whole new base unit.
You cannot trust anything. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

BUMMER!
Installed new psu. Carefully routed all the cables. Powered up in to M$, went to run Thief. Got starting screen fine, but on play just crashed.
AC syndicate, reboots pc.
So waste of £25, can't return it as it is working and I have unboxed it. Will have to wait to next month to get a more powerful psu.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity does it run at a lower frame rate, with reduced textures, blah, blah?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I had to reduce thief to get it to start, at High setting it just quit. Normal got me to a load game screen then crashed.
Not tried with anything else, or any other settings.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

So what are the thoughts on this one?
56A vs the 36 on the current one. Hopefully it is OK. Reviews are all good, one powering a gtx970 & i3