cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics card BSOD at boot

Denzil
Grafter

Graphics card BSOD at boot

Not sure if this should be in Windows or Hardware, but hey.
New PC this week for a colleague,
Asus M4A78LT-M
AMD Phenom™ II X4 925
4GB RAM
64GB SSD
ATI FireGL V7700 graphics
450W power supply
Windows 7 64 bit
When it starts it blue screens with a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" message. If I take out the V7700, reboot with onboard graphics, then shut down, refit the V7700 and reboot it runs as normal. It is a little impractical to have to do this every morning, though.
Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Graphics card BSOD at boot

I have no idea why it boots the second time but my concern would be the power supply - what is the 12v rail rating
Have you tried booting into safe mode first thing in the morning instead of normal mode
KenA
Grafter

Try booting in safe mode, using the default windows vga driver, and see if that stops the bsod.  If it does, uninstall the driver for the graphics card or look on the manufacturer's website to see if there's a newer driver for it.
Denzil
Grafter

Definitely using the most recent driver - it was downloaded straight from ATI's website.
The overall rating is above the card's minimum requirement, but the power supply is worth a look. I suppose it could be one rail doesn't quite provide enough to start the card, and maybe starting without it charges the output capacitors enough to do it the second time. I'll have a play tomorrow morning.
danger11
Grafter

Try re installing windows drivers from disks (Remove card first.
Denzil
Grafter

So you're suggesting I should install an older driver ???. I have a near identical PC with the same card using the same driver and it is fine. I have tried swapping the cards, but the problem stays with the PC. I am still suspecting a power supply or maybe motherboard issue. Trouble is it only has the problem when booting from cold, so I can only try one change every few days to see what happens!
sharpyuk
Grafter

BAD_POOL_HEADER is an awful issue.. It has 100's of causes most of which will point towards conflicts either hardware or services.  I do not feel this would be anything to do with the hardware but more lie with the windows installation and/or something making a change prior that has now cause this issue.
Keep hunting, but i have a feeling that a fresh install of the OS might be the only way forward unless you have countless time on your hands.