Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Card Warranty service

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Graphics Card Warranty service

I don't remember if this has been posted before but this listing of RMA times etc. is really quite enllghtening
http://forums.hexus.net/graphics-cards/204247-graphics-card-warrantys-lets-see-how-good-they-really-...
10 REPLIES 10
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Graphics Card Warranty service

That's really handy, cheers Jim - good find!
Also... this is why I try to buy eVGA cards Smiley That's what the last 3 have been.
Razer
Grafter

But what is the point of a ten year guarantee when, as is so often the case, the next release in the game series you are buying even just one year after purchasing your graphics card, is telling you that you'll need to upgrade your graphics card?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Razer they have to replace it with a similar costing card if yours is no longer made/sold.  I had a Asus 9800GX2 with a 3 year warranty that died and they had to replace it with a 470GTX as they cost roughly the same.
edit: also what that nice chart doesn't show, you get it RMA'd with the seller not the maker
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Actually they don't
What sometimes happens is that they give you the residual value of the card calculated from the proportion of the guarantee left
This isn't covered there but it does happen with some of the suppliers/retailers if the card is end of life (they don't make/stock it any more)
Razer
Grafter

Yes, I understand warranty generally. Of course it's worth it if your card develops a fault (though it's not likely). The point I'm making is that so often we may replace our cards for a better one just because we get a new game say a year after purchase. It certainly seems to me that if I buy any new game I'm always expected to upgrade my card. A ten year warranty is pointless then if you're replacing the card anyway after a year, which may also be replaced itself after another year.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I tend to replace my card only when I need to - not just to get all the eye candy on a new game - typically every 4 years or so.
Hence warranty support is a significant factor which is one of the reasons I went with MSI this time and why I will never ever consider XFX
Razer
Grafter

I was in the midst of responding to you several minutes ago when I had an ethernet failure on a replacement router. GRRR. Anyway, what I was going to say was that I tend not to replace my graphics card when a game demands it. I just run on low settings. I'm fed up with the constant push to upgrade at exorbitant costs. I don't get how they can produce all these games, year on year without any changes required to someone's XBox or Playstation, yet it becomes necessary for PCs. Why can't they make the games for PC the same way in graphics terms?
The kind of card I'd like, well they just cost too much. That said, I am also fed up with running my games on shitty settings and really do want to get another. The problem is I'm probably going to have to replace my bloody motherboard and power supply unit. I imagine too that I will probably have to buy some other kind of ram that will be compatible with the motherboard I'll have to get. Gets on my nerves, the lot of it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

In my case the next upgrade will need to be motherboard, ram, CPU and GPU - the power supply should be OK
I have to really wonder whether, at my advanced age, it will be worth it
Razer
Grafter

I've only just built my current set-up. Well, about a year ago (and my first try as well). Motherboard, ram, CPU, GPU, fans, extra HDDs, case. My power supply was ok. At my (I still think young) age I'm already thinking it's not worth it! That is, I'm in two minds. I want to upgrade because I'm fed up with what I've got not being good enough, and resent it, too, knowing that being so fed up will likely push me to the upgrade.
As for games, I can already see myself back to the quandary I had about ten-twelve years ago where I ended up getting a Playstation because I was fed up with forever needing to get a better graphics card for my PC with each, subsequent game I bought. Then I got fed up with the Playstation because of the inflated game prices, and your options for custom games (usually free) are limited to pretty much none, so I went back to PC gaming. Ha. Can't win.
Good luck with your next upgrade, if you go for it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, as with Jim I also tend to upgrade when required rather than when game developers think I should.
However there is one other good reason for buying eVGA - their guarantee still upholds if you replace the heatsink with a water block/after market part and also if you overclock.