Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphic card problem

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Graphic card problem

For the past few weeks my desktop computer has been displaying a red warning message that my graphic card (GTX 650) is running at 350 rpm and a temperature of 40 c.

I have tried to alter the speed through the bios and additional software but with no luck, is it possible to repair the card ?

Accept it’s a old card....2012 era.....or am I just wasting my time and accept another card is the only option ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Graphic card problem

You should be able to replace the fan on the card as that's your issue here.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@Mook 

Thanks.

Will check that out.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mook
Seasoned Champion

Another thing you may want to consider @gleneagles is to give your card a dusting. If you're comfortable with it remove it from the machine and use a vacuum to clean it by placing the nozzle over the fan to extract the dust from the casing.

While you have this out you'll also get a measure of how easy it will be to replace the fan and the size needed.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Mook wrote:

Another thing you may want to consider @gleneagles is to give your card a dusting.

Aye, a good thing to do periodically, especially if it's a tower on the floor.

For ease of access and a stronger suck, I've improvised a tool comprising a length of washing machine hose, garden hose, and a couple of bits of sleeving from the junk box to step down the diameter to 9mm.

vacuum.jpg

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I use an air duster Smiley

4 x Dust-Air 400ml Compressed Air Duster Can for Fans PC Laptop Camera CFC  Free 4X: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I usually find blowing more effective than sucking, especially using an air hose attached to a compressor with one of these or similar.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@gleneagles wrote:

For the past few weeks my desktop computer has been displaying a red warning message that my graphic card (GTX 650) is running at 350 rpm and a temperature of 40 c.

I have tried to alter the speed through the bios and additional software but with no luck, is it possible to repair the card ?

Accept it’s a old card....2012 era.....or am I just wasting my time and accept another card is the only option ?

40C is slightly above normal body temperature, so its probably a configuration error to say that's a warning?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

The most likely reason is that the fan and/or heatsink is full of dust/fibers
If you are ok with dismanteling your pc and removing the card, give it a good clean. Check and clean the main cpu fan and heatsink while you're in there.
Jonpe
Hero

@RobPN wrote:

... especially using an air hose attached to a compressor with one of these or similar.

If you have a friend who is a dentist, he'll have something similar in his surgery, although you probably won't be allowed to take a computer into the surgery at the moment.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Jonpe wrote:

If you have a friend who is a dentist, he'll have something similar in his surgery, although you probably won't be allowed to take a computer into the surgery at the moment.

Lock-down or not, I don't think many dentists would be amenable to blasting a cloud of dust into their nice clean surgery.  Cheesy