Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the decorators in...

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Got the decorators in...

We've got the decorator in at the moment. Adair Towers has thick stone walls, is over 200 years old and grade II listing. Running any cable is a nightmare and Wifi within the building is a bit of an adventure. We're moving furniture around as the decorators progress from room to room. I've  just had to move the computing stuff from the study into a distant bedroom. Thank heavens for LAN over power wiring. I'm using the Develo devices and can recommend them!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Got the decorators in...

I'm glad you find them OK, there's a lot who would not recommend any device of that type (me included) although Develo appear to be one of the better ones.The danger with any of these devices is cheap chinese copies/brands that push out wide spectrum interference.
As with any setup, a user should consider their particular requirements and select devices that will meet those needs without being an environmental liability - eg.a big powerful wireless router at the centre is not necessarily the best option, and where possible an ethernet connection will always give the best performance. Horses for courses, as the saying goes.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why not dig some grooves into the walls and stick some Gigabit ethernet in?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AlaricAdair
Champion

I'd have English Heritage on my tail if I dug holes in the plaster. Some of it was slapped on before the Battle of Trafalgar. We can paint it, maybe paper the walls but other than that have to seek permission.
VileReynard
Hero

It's only Grade II - that only means that you can't alter the exterior appearance of the building.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

depends on the listing,
as to EOP plugs, I found that after the firmware update the tp link ones are better than the devolo ones, but that might be down to the way they handle crossing the breaker box, (I had got both types when I replaced the original 50mbps units because of issues with performance)  the devolo ones failed to hold connection to the top floor ...... the tp link ones managed to hold a decent 50meg link although they needed rebooting every day and would "freeze up" if anyone was trying to stream videos until pulled out of the wall, of course the IPTV firmware update last year happily fixed that issue and in the last 3 months there have been zero issues requiring them to be restarted and as I'm sure a CRT could attest theres a lot of streaming being done in my house Smiley (the joy of teens)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
AlaricAdair
Champion

Sorry; Grade II, Conservation area, World Heritage site. Back to the original theme, man of the walls, including interior are 60 cm thick stone. The Develo units are a godsend, even have one at the end of a 75 metre "extension" (installed by previous owner) to the flood monitoring system in the garage.
VileReynard
Hero

Lucky you.  Smiley