Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Googles new free web browser

samuria
Grafter

Googles new free web browser

Any one tried the new web browser from Google free from
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/features.html#
I am trying it its seems very fast with some good ideas pinched from IE and Firefox but I can find any icons for home page there is no icons or icon bar as such. It has its own task manager and if  a tab dies it doesnt kill the browser.
There is a incognito browse which some may find useful. It sonly just out so I will have to try it a bit more
45 REPLIES 45
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Googles new free web browser

I watched the webcast and downloaded it to try it out.
I like it a lot.
From a user point of view, Google have been successful.  It's very user friendly, and it's also very smart.
I shall continue to play to see if I can find some of the other special features Smiley
B.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

A techie friend of mine discussed this over dinner tonight.  He seems very impressed with it so far.  I would be interested to hear what you think to it once you've given it a test drive.
grimme
Grafter

Have had a brief play with it, seems to be very similar to Opera in some parts.
Suprised that there is no Linux or Mac version at the moment, but maybe Google is only interested in the Windows market!

I'll be sticking with Firefox, on Linux or XP as my  browser of choice for the time being.
zubel
Community Veteran

Mac and Linux ports are in the works so I would expect to see them fairly soon.
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm going to give it a try for a day or two and then chronicle my findings in a blog.
So far I have the following:
  • UI for pop-up blocking - I like the way you simply drag the window into view from the status bar.
  • Look, feel and speed of web-browsing - It looks sexy and seems really nippy.
  • Download interface - I like the way it stacks downloads in the status bar and lets you interact with them from there, although I don't like the way that it seems to save every file you download even if you choose to automatically open it.
  • Create application shorcuts from any webpage a la Prism - TBH, I don't really need to use this, but it's quite funky nonetheless.
  • Igcognito - similar to private browsing on IE8.
  • Each tab runs in a separate process so one tab can't crash the browser - This is a godsend! Try pressing shift-escape, it gives you a bespoke task manager for each tab/plugin, very clever!

Dislikes:

• Tab behaviours - e.g tabs open next to the existing one which I don't like. I can't automatically focus on newly created tabs, I can't open new tabs from searches, I can't open my homepage on new tabs. I can't middle-click the back button to open the last page I was viewing in a new tab  (and focus on it). It's for these reasons that I worship Firefox's TabMixPlus plugin.
  • Lack of settings/bookmark synchronisation feature like in Opera 9.5 or with the Firefox extension Foxymarks (I'm surprised they didn't incorporate a Google Browser Sync hybrid TBH)?
  • Lack of integration for social networking/bookmarking, e.g stumbleupon/digg - I have a lot of Firefox plugins that allow me to interact with these sites using my browser's toolbar or right-click context menu.
  • Does it do rss feeds - They certainly don't render too cleverly when I try viewing them.

I'd imagine a lot of my dislikes can be combatted by plugins if/when they are available, but these are just some of my initial findings after using Chrome for a few hours.
BTW, try some of the following commands in the address bar:
about:version - Current Version
about:plugins - Display Installed Plugins
about:histograms - Display History
about:dns - Display DNS Stats
about:cache - View Cache Pages
view-cache:stats - Cache Stats
about:stats - Display Stats
about:network - Very Cool Network Tool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

grimme
Grafter

Have hit my first curiosity with the Google Browser.
I currently use Firefox to view https webmail from another provider (Claranet). I can usually sign-in, open and view a message then use my back button in the browser to go back to the inbox list.
Tried doing this on the Google Browser, pressing the back button gave a message saying I need to press the reload button to see the data again - on doing this I was promptly logged out reportedly due to inactivity (it was max 2 minutes since signing in) or a change of IP address.
Tried viewing the same message using Firefox, just in case Clara had changed a setting and it is perfectly fine and I can use the back button in the browser to get back to the inbox list.
Shame, I was just thinking how much quicker it was at retrieving the pages.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I'm liking it so far, but again am used to the plug-ins I use with Firefox.
My biggest niggle at the moment is that i can scroll down using my touch pad, but it won't scroll up again!
Unlike Bob I much prefer my tab I open from one page to open next to the tab I'm in, this is like IE and is one thing I find annoying in Firefox.
As a first stab I think it's pretty good and am looking forward to plug-ins coming along, hopefully a Google re-designed type one and also a multi machine synch..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

I've installed it too.
With some pages I'm not noticing any notable increase in speeds, but with others (ala thinkbroadband) they are considerably faster.
I like the way pop-ups are handled and I love the new tab options.  Not really come across any stumbling blocks as of yet.
geewizz
Grafter

I'm beginning to get worried about the number of times the installer requests access to the internet. I downloaded the new browser yesterday and played with it for a while. This morning I had to click off half a dozen popups from zonealarm relating to the installer. I've had another half dozen coming through the course of today. What does it need such frequent access for even when the browser isn't open?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

New stumbling block for me is I can't access one of my online bank accounts using it, website returns an odd error - works ok in firefox.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

There seems to be another oddity, maybe due to the way it uses Flash?
Testing BB speed via Speedtest.net (which uses Flash) I get a result only around 50% to 60% of that shown via IE.
(The IE one is consistent with other tests and what i know my line is capable of)
Not applicable

I dislike the popup bar at the lower left - it interferes with Forumwarz attacks Tongue
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: samuria

... but I can find any icons for home page there is no icons or icon bar as such. ...

There is an option to display a home button. Click the spanner button, click Options, on the Basics tab click "Show Home button on the toolbar".
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Just be careful guys.. for those who didn't read the EULA:
http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html
Section 11

11. Content licence from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
11.2 You agree that this licence includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organisations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this licence shall permit Google to take these actions.
11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.

In other words...all your work will be h4x0r3d and pwnd by google to do as they please.