Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google search default country.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Google search default country.

My browser (Chrome) starts with a New Tab, and that tab has always directed towards the UK search address for Google. Today, for some obscure reason, it has started defaulting to Germany. In other words it thinks my IP address is in Germany, which it's not (unless PN has moved on the sly and not told anyone!).

Anyone else experiencing this, or any ideas how to correct this. Cache/cookies/DNS cache gave all been cleared. If I scroll to the bottom of a search page it used to say where I am, but now just says "Unknown" where the location used to be. Which is probably why it defaults to Germany.

W7 with the latest Chrome release.

3 REPLIES 3
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Google search default country.

What IP address have you got? If that is the issue there is a thread to report

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p...

As a circumvention could you not make your start-up page www.google.co.uk instead of www.google.com?

nozzer
Hero

It's a normal UK PN IP address. I'll report it I think.

I know it's possible to change the startup page but it's never been necessary before.

Thanks.

nozzer
Hero

This problem has started showing up on the Google search forum. Looks like it's a problem with Google's reading of the IP address.