Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google autoupdater - unwanted

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Google autoupdater - unwanted

Just had a popup about Google wanting to install an add on to Google Earth
I wasn't even using Google at the time - it turns out that Google Earth 5 installs an add on service which runs at startup and checks your computer for alll Google programs and auto updates them.
There is no way to stop it apparently as you can't use Google Earth for example unless the service is runnng.
As I use Kaspersky Internet Security I just moved the application to untrusted which blocks everything - now lets see if it can do it
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Google autoupdater - unwanted

It runs too if you use google chrome. I tended to just end the service when I wasn't using Chrome.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
samuria
Grafter

Its a pain as Google toolbar uses it as well and if you knock it out of startup its back again like malware and who knows what information its sending
scootie
Grafter

i thought i had found the exe file for google update yet even after deleting the file I can see the rule to block google updater on comodo is still being trigged alot.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I found two versions of the file
scootie
Grafter

yeah shortly after last post i searched again and found the same 2 files.
i manged to set premissions on vista to delete one of the files but no matter what i do to the permisons on the other file it stands frim and will not disapper.
how can a file protect it self from being deleted if you have set all admin and users full control over the file?
oldjim have you also found the file google updater uninstall. i ran that awhile ago but seems to have done nothing
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I haven't found the uninstaller but checking my security log the updater phones home every hour (or now it tries to  ;D)
scootie
Grafter

just checked firewall block history again and since i turned computer on 30 or so mins ago no google updater has bein blocked.
i deleted the one file that would allow me to and moved the file to my desktop. will not surrpise me if the files manage to clone them selfs back to the google folder Roll_eyes
all this just because i wanted street view update for google earth and after playing with it i find the web browser version is better for street view
edit. also runing goolge earth dosent  make a new copy of googleupdater Smiley
scootie
Grafter

google updater is no more.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Same here although I had to stop the process before deleting the second one