Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Web History - Is this a major privacy concern

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Google Web History - Is this a major privacy concern

Just been playing with my Google Account and I saw a heading - Web History - and it tracks all my Google searches without having Google Toolbar installed.
Checking I found this http://searchengineland.com/google-ramps-up-personalized-search-10430
Starting today, anyone who signs-up for any Google service using a Google Account (such as Gmail, AdSense, Google Analytics among others) will automatically be enrolled into three additional Google products:
    * Search History
    * Personalized Search
    * Personalized Homepage
Let’s look more closely at Search History, which as I said is the most sensitive of the three products new accounts get. Search History is a feature introduced back in April 2005 that keeps track of every search you’ve made and page you’ve clicked on from Google search results. Here’s an example of my Search History screen, giving me access to the recorded information:

11 REPLIES 11
hadden
Grafter

Re: Google Web History - Is this a major privacy concern

As I take the view that all privacy matters are major, I do my best to disable all Google tracking features, including the one on this forum page.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I turn off all the ones I'm aware of - but Oldjim that Google "feature" dates from a couple of years ago.
I turned it off - or Google might have scrapped it.
What are all these google-analytics references about?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I know it does now - but I think it came in on my system when I started another Google service recently and missed the little tick box.
Google Analytics is for monitoring traffic to your web site I believe - if you look closely when some sites open slowly it states "waiting for Google Analytics"
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think that Google analytics is a service that PN use, dont know if the results go outside PN though, last time it was asked we didnt get a sensible answer
http://www.google.com/analytics/
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I couldn't understand Google's marketing hype - but I think that Plusnet may be interested in http://conversionroom.blogspot.com/2009/07/check-out-page-speed-and-help-make-your.html Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Jim, is the search history the same as you get in Firefox history>show all history?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont think so, in the last few days at the bottom of the search screen is a bar with a + and then the search, click the + and it shows your history
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No it was only the Google searches and the sites I clicked on from the searches
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just seen the + and now know what you are referring to. Thanks Jim and PP.
Santiago
Grafter

I looked at  my Web History in my Google account. It said to enable Web history I had to install Google Toolbar. So as I don't have Google Toolbar does that mean Google are not collecting data on my searches?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No as I don't have Google Toolbar
There are two options with Web History - the basic one is it monitors and logs all Google searches and any sites you go to from links on those searches. You are probably looking at allowing Google to monitor every site you visit not just those accessed via a Google search - see picture