Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Search changed

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Google Search changed

I now get this when I open Google and type in the search box - I haven't changed anything -
EDIT - they have and I don't like it http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/two-new-improvements-to-google-results.html
2nd edit - you can opt out using preferences
30 REPLIES 30
Lurker
Grafter

Re: Google Search changed

Yeah, is been on .com for a while, and now they look to have ported it to .co.uk
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Looks like you have to go to http://www.google.co.uk/preferences?hl=en and change the last preference.
If Google keeps at it they will drive me elsewhere. Tongue

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've noticed it's been like that for ages.
Don't like it either, didn't think of looking in preferences!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you got to change the preferences for EVERY search? or does it remain so, for the next day.....week..... month....? once you have "save preferences"  ?
Lurker
Grafter

It saves them until you removinate the cookie for Google.
Colin
Grafter

Hmm, I like the Query Suggest feature... it's just the same as what I get when I'm using Firefox to search Google (Through the search box at the top right) so is a definite improvement from my point of view.
Lurker
Grafter

Since becoming a Firefoxist I haven't been to the Google homepage much either.
I quite like looking to see what some of the suggestions might be, its sometimes a kind of mini-stumbleupon allowing you to find things that might be presented for search terms similar to the ones you intended using.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I don't use google homepage much either and do like the suggestions, saves me typing and misspelling  Wink
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

glad its not just me then.
i installed eiSPELL add on for ie8 last night and on my first google today noticed the same but put it down to the add on
thejudge
Rising Star

Don't you just love it when a website decides it's going to "enhance the customer experience"? It almost always leads to the removal or breaking down of the one aspect of the site that made you want to use it in the first place.
I would have no way of avoiding this with Google, simply because I refuse to accept cookies from it.
I use Scoogle (http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm) and although it has its drawbacks (only a maximum of 100 results, and no equivalent of Google's Image search being two of them), it does delete all access logs within 48 hours and keeps no records of your search terms.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

One thing I have been missing for the last couple of weeks is the tick box under the search item, UK or TOTAL WEB, where did they go?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Still there if you use the link http://www.google.co.uk/
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I actually like this feature, it gives you a good idea of whether you're likely to get a few results appearing.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one reason I like the choice is that a lot of my searches are on Essex  place names and Google comes up with the US results first, a lot of those there as the Pilgrim fathers (A lot of them) came from Essex, not a lot of help
Just tried editing the search button on my Firefox, it seemed to have accepted Google.co.uk did a search on Braintree and it came up with google.com again and Braintree Massachusetts again
the English council web is www.braintree.gov.uk, the US one is www.townofbraintreegov.org/