cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Phone

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Google Phone

Google has launched its first piece of hardware today - its new mobile phone Nexus One. 
http://tinyurl.com/y85nkwy
6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Google Phone

it looks very nice, tempted to get one to replace my G1
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Santiago
Grafter

Less expensive than the iPhone and better spec. It won't take Google long to knock the iPhone into a cocked hat
Google is our friend Smiley
Google will no doubt integrate and promote voice-over-internet systems to users, which will further harm the mobile phone networks. Many Nexus One users will chose to make phone calls for free using their data allowance, further removing the power from the mobile phone networks

By the time I am due for new phone later this year they will have knocked the rough edges of the Nexus and I think I will get one.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

They are apparently selling them at cost.  They are interested in locking customers into using them for internet access rather than use the i.phone.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I still want the n900 more than both the iPhone and Nexus. Just giving a 3 a chance to stock it before jumping ship...
Be3G
Grafter

There is, I fear, one problem with the Nexus One: visibility of the screen in sunlight. The AMOLED screen is emissive but not reflective, so will appear similar to transmissive screens such as those generally found in laptops. This means that when ambient light is low, the screen will look great because the screen itself is producing a lot of light; but in sunlight, it will be drowned out by our closest star. The normal solution for this is to use transflective screens, which can both utilise a backlight and reflect ambient light so they're able to cope respectably in any situation. But OLED screens are different (as they produce their own light rather than utilising a backlight) so, as far as I'm aware, OLED screens offer no reflectivity.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There's another problem, the touchscreen is heat sensitive, so if your fingers are too cold it doesn't work.