cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Mail login page as wallpaper

petermaughan
Grafter

Google Mail login page as wallpaper

A friend called me for advice today (one of my PlusNet referrals).  He uses Google Mail.  Somehow the Google Mail login page was showing up behind the desktop icons after bootup, as if it were wallpaper.  This was unsolicited and unwelcome.  Neither he nor I could find any way to turn it off or any relevant reference in the Google help pages.
Has anybody else experienced this?  How to get rid of it?
Peter
3 REPLIES 3
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Google Mail login page as wallpaper

If he/she is using Windows XP then try this, right click the desk top, from the pop up menu select and click ‘Properties’.
Click the [Desktop] tab to bring it to the foreground.
Click the button [Customize desktop …].
Click the small tab [Web] to bring it to the foreground.
Check if you have any Web pages noted and ticked in the ‘Web Pages:’ window, if you have, then either delete them or remove the ticks from the boxes.
Click the [OK] button to close down and save your changes.
You can now select a new background (or go back to the standard ‘Bliss’ background) from the ‘Background:’ list in the displayed window.
Click the [Apply] button to set the new background and all should be back to normal.
Regards, P.
petermaughan
Grafter

Many thanks to both PJ and Pendragon. 
My friend uses Windows XP and Internet Explorer. 
Yes, it does look like an Active Desktop display; I have just now installed an Active Desktop page on my own system and it gives exactly the same effect.
I remember Active Desktop from Windows 95 days and I had not realised that it was still around, hidden away in the desktop configuration.
Peter
petermaughan
Grafter

Yes, my friend has now confirmed that what he had was a manifestation of Active Desktop.  Problem solved.  Once again, thanks to both.
Peter