cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth and Google Earth Pro

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Google Earth and Google Earth Pro

I have been running Google Earth on my pc, but recently when I started it up, I have been getting messages about it being discontinued, and that I should switch to Google Earth Pro. I tried installing Pro several times, but have failed every time.

Do any of you use Pro? Did you have similar problems installing it? How did you solve that problem?

Thanks for any help

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Google Earth and Google Earth Pro

I installed it on a couple of Win 10 computers without any problems. However I have since reverted to Google Earth as the Pro version is incompatible with the Garmin route planning software that I use to programme my sat nav.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mav
Fixes: 515

I installed it alongside Google Earth on my W7 Pro PC three and a half years ago. After a while I uninstalled Google Earth as I prefer Pro.

Never had any issues using it. I remember starting a thread about it here.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Is anyone using Google earth pro in Linux ?

Had a few issues with the standard Google Earth so do not want to load this on to my system in case it messes other stuff up ?

Linux mint 18.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'm running Win 7, which Pro claims to be okay with.

Is there a difference between "graphics card" and "display adaptor"? Pro complains about me using OpenGL when it wants DirectX. Trying to change that in the Pro Troubleshooter doesn't seem to make any difference. 'Fix Google Earth Errors -  Google Earth Help' talks about updating the graphics card driver if all else fails, but Device Manager talks about Display Adaptor. How do I update the driver if I cannot identify the graphics card (aren't they usually built into the motherboard these days rather than being a separate card)?

Baldrick1 - How are you going to stay with Google Earth if they switch it off (which they claimed to be doing in October)?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I notice that https://www.openstreetmap.org/ is being used by a number of organisations.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I've just taken a brief look, and it appears to be more like Bing Maps (roads view) than Google Earth. Have I missed something? I will keep looking at openstreetmap, just in case.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@penneck wrote:

I'm running Win 7, which Pro claims to be okay with.

Is there a difference between "graphics card" and "display adaptor"? Pro complains about me using OpenGL when it wants DirectX. Trying to change that in the Pro Troubleshooter doesn't seem to make any difference. 'Fix Google Earth Errors -  Google Earth Help' talks about updating the graphics card driver if all else fails, but Device Manager talks about Display Adaptor. How do I update the driver if I cannot identify the graphics card (aren't they usually built into the motherboard these days rather than being a separate card)?

Baldrick1 - How are you going to stay with Google Earth if they switch it off (which they claimed to be doing in October)?

The graphics card/display adapter are the same thing. It may be built in to the motherboard or for better graphics on a desktop pc a separate daughter board. Depending on your set up you could look up the drivers on the manufacturers web site. Another option is to download a free program such as Driver Booster and let it scan your computer. This allows you to choose which drivers you wish to update. Be warned that you will be constantly bombarded with messages inviting you to upgrade to the paid version but this can easily be resolved by removing the program after you have used it.

There’a chance of course that your graphics adapter hasn’t got the capability to run the pro version.

I’m hoping that Garmin will make their Basecamp program compatible with Google Earth Pro before the plug is pulled on Google Earth. If this is not the case then I shall lose the capability to view Basecamp routes on Google Earth, which will be a shame.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou Baldrick1. I have just run Driver Booster, and it found several driver updates, which I have loaded. It also mentioned a problem with DirectX, which it said it couldn't fix unless up upgraded to Driver Booster Pro (which I haven't done). Instead I went on Google and looked for a way to update DirectX, which I did, but re-installing Google Earth Pro still has a problem which it doesn't identify to me - that is really helpful. It does send a message back to Google, but whether they do anything....

So it looks like I am without Google Earth for the foreseeable. Pity that, I liked looking at aerial views of places in the UK

Thanks for the help

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ works well in a browser for "satellite" views.

No install needed!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks VR. I'll use that

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

@VileReynard

yes thanks for that, works well and saved me a few problems.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Baldrick1  There’a chance of course that your graphics adapter hasn’t got the capability to run the pro version.

I'd say pretty minimal requirements in all fields.

Minimum:

• Operating System: Windows 7
  • CPU: 1GHz or faster
  • System Memory (RAM): 2GB
  • Hard Disk: 2GB free space
  • Internet Connection
  • Graphics Processor: DirectX 9 or OpenGL 1.4 compatible

Recommended:

• Operating System: Windows 7 or higher
  • CPU: 2GHz dual-core or faster
  • System Memory (RAM): 4GB
  • Hard Disk: 4GB free space
  • High-Speed Internet Connection
  • Graphics Processor: DirectX 11 or OpenGL 2.0 compatible

I've had no issues with it so far (says him touching a big plank of wood). And yes, if you have a desktop, a separate graphic card is the way to go if you want serious improvement in graphic rendering. Even old games have a surprising amount of graphic detail hidden away.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?