Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth Pro

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Google Earth Pro

When I turned on my computer earlier today, I found Google Earth had changed to Google Earth Pro. I didn't knowingly ask for Google Earth Pro, so I am a bit annoyed that this has happened. I have tried using it, but cannot figure out how to get it to show me that basic thing, the earth, so I cannot see the roads and houses etc in towns. All I can see is a skeleton view of the globe, which if I go in closer, shows (1) place names, (2) where the coast is, (3) county boundaries - but all only as skeletal things. I can turn on Roads which gives me roads and road numbers, but still only as a skeleton. Investigation suggests Pro wants Google Chrome, which I don't want if I can avoid it. Anyway, I don't want to install Chrome only to find that having Chrome isn't the answer.

Is there any way to either get back to the Google Earth I had only yesterday, or solve the problem of the missing ground in Pro, without installing Chrome?

Thanks for any help

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Google Earth Pro

Have you tried https://www.google.co.uk/maps

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello VileRenard. I have tried Google Maps as you suggested. It isn't as good as the old version of Google Earth. I cannot get in as close.

My preferred position would be to get back to the old Google Earth that I had until today, but thanks for your suggestion

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Fix

Might be able to download previous versions here:

https://support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou Jaread83. I have had to load version 6.2 to get the old version I had before. The streetview does some funny distortions occasionally, but I think it is better than the latest Earth Pro

Thanks everyone. Can we consider this closed now, please

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Glad you managed to get it sorted Smiley just make sure in the application to turn off automatic updates so it doesn't upgrade to Pro again.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou jaread83. I have spent a short while looking at the old Google Earth I have on my pc now, but have failed to find any way of controlling updates. However, I did discover that Google Earth has a user forum, and I found on that forum other people complaining about this uninvited change to GE Pro (and the problems it has caused them). The forum mentioned that there is a 'cure' for the problem I had with GE Pro - change from OpenGL to DirectX. Wouldn't it be nice if they had mentioned that in their intro to GE Pro. If they did, I didn't see it. Now where did I leave my white stick.

Onwards and upwards. Thanks once again