Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Chrome ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Google Chrome ?

I have just noticed that I have "Google Chrome" Short cut Icon, on my desktop......
as far as I know, I have not installed it (deliberately).... and my google page and browsing look and feel just the same.... (I think)
Is there any visible difference between the Firefox I am used to without Google Chrome.... and the Firefox WITH Google Chrome?
17 REPLIES 17
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Google Chrome ?

Google Chrome sneaks in on the back of many innocent downloads unless specifically unticked.
It's just another browser....although some will say, being Google it won't be so innocent itself.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

It may well be "just another browser",..... but I have no idea if I am using it or not.... just got the "short cut" icon appear on my desktop... (don`t want to click on it, in case it self inflicts on me !...
I have read about some "naughty bits" that spy on you with Chrome,. and don`t want to have that.... hence my query as to "is there any visual distinction"... to recognise it vis a vis other google brower on Firefox,....
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Take a look in task manager, It will tell you in there if you are running it. Also have you downloaded or updated any other software lately?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Steve,  Task Manager does not mention it....... however.... I decided to look in "program files" and sure enough it is listed there... so I then went to "Absolute Uninstaller" and note that it is listed on the programs installed,... and dated 3 days ago... so I am about to click on "Uninstall"...
I don`t usually miss those sneaky little boxes that you have to tick or untick.... and don`t remember updating anything unless it was an "auto" update ....
all`s well that ends well, I suppose... (sneaky blighters  Angry )
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its so easily done nowadays, You cant update anything without being on full alert and that's even If you remember that with software comes loads of stuff no one wants, Least It wasn't something more sinister eh! Although can anything top google? Huh Undecided
shutter
Community Veteran

YAY!  another thing I have uninstalled, is "Google Update Helper"..... as this MAY have been the source of the update I did not want...  ! ! ! !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That could of came from picasa or any thing else related to google, Toolbars? I think google should be added to virus definitions. Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Not from Picasa...... I don`t have it..... Tried it a long time ago, (when it first came out???)  and did not like how it controlled my pics, and displayed them all in thumbnails, without me doing anything.. so dumped it immediately.
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter

Is there any visible difference between the Firefox I am used to without Google Chrome.... and the Firefox WITH Google Chrome?

Just to clear up a misunderstanding. You can't run "Firefox with Google Chrome". Chrome is a browser just like Firefox is a browser, just like Internet Explorer is a browser. I have it installed and it's fine - I just usually use Firefox since it's more versatile.
If you really want your computer messed up try installing Safari - that brings with it a lot of undesirable "Appleness".
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks drj for that clear up... !.. I thought Chrome was some kind of (evil ?? ?)addon rather than "same as"  FF or IE8....
much relief.... esp since I uninstalled it !  Cheesy
Heloman
Grafter

Reckon you should have tried Chrome before uninstalling it, Shutter!
Even before I switched from Windows to Linux I was a Firefox fan. But recent versions of FF have become slower and slower. So I tried Chrome (the Linux version of Chromium) and found it altogether better. Much faster and cleaner. I love it  Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

FEAR !.... Fear of the unknown..... and even more fear because I did not (ask) want it, but it just appeared... Fear, because of what I had read about spying and other "unknown" activities....
I find FF to be working fast enough for me... haven`t noticed any slow down since I first used it... (may be very slow by increments to be un-noticeable)
Heloman
Grafter

Interesting comparison of browsers here:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365692,00.asp
"The last time we compared all five major Web browsers Google Chrome had just over 12 percent of the market. That's now doubled, and it looks like Chrome's market share will pass Firefox's soon."
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I use Google Chrome and think it's fantastic. It's by far the fastest Web Browser out there in my opinion. Web Browsers all do the same job, but if you're wanting to take a quick look at the news before work, you want something that's fast and reliable - it ticks both boxes for me Smiley