cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Chrome Browser

Not applicable

Google Chrome Browser

I thought that there was a thread about this but can't locate it, hence new one.
Just downloaded the beta version of the Google Chrome browser and am learning how to use it. One immediate impression is the speed - it is almost unbelievable. It launches in an instant and pages also load instantly.
Am missing the Firefox toolbar for print/copy/paste etc. Also, pages do seem to pop up in new windows (like this one as I write) so I am not sure I like this.
Also missing the FF Adblock Plus add-on- those pesky adverts are a pain.
Would welcome opinions as it will no doubt give me a bit more information about getting the best out of the application.
Undecided
13 REPLIES 13
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Google Chrome Browser

Not tried it yet. I've read alligations that it phones home and adds to Googles already huge amount of information they gather about peoples browsing habits.
Only if it is totally open source and people can see what it does - will I be assured.
I'll be sticking with Firefox as my main browser I think.
Not applicable

Didn't know about the 'phoning home' and can see that this would put some folk off. Chrome has excellent performance but I do miss my little addons so will no doubt be back with Mozimillia (as my friend calls it) after I have had a play.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Google will see everything you do.
Expect them to send you some "targeted" adverts - just like Phorm planned to do for BT.
You will have been deemed to have opted-in to a serious chunk of spyware.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Should think that they will be seriously bored if they are interested in my browsing habits!
Anyway, I take your point, particularly as I am ignorant on this subject so can't further the debate on it.
However, I haven't noticed anything untoward with my computer - in fact it had its clean-up today and all came up perfect as usual.
Chrome is only in beta version and for me it won't replace Firefox but Google provides 85% of Mozilla funding anyway and I read that this isn't going to change despite the development of Chrome. With this figure it makes one wonder about 'open source'.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: axisofevil
Google will see everything you do.
Expect them to send you some "targeted" adverts - just like Phorm planned to do for BT.
You will have been deemed to have opted-in to a serious chunk of spyware.

Conspiracy theories aside, you can happily download the source code and build it yourself.
The only part of Chrome that hasn't been open sourced is the update checker.  This is primarily because Google want to make sure that if you download automatic updates, they are verified as coming from Google themselves, and not a random source.
Literally thousands of pairs of eyes have already been scrutinising the code and I'm pretty sure that someone will have piped up if there weer any serious shenanigans going on.
B.
geewizz
Grafter

The thread you were looking for is here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67741.0.html
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Anyone tried the spyware free version Iron
Just to rub salt into the wound here is Googles Translation
johpal
Grafter

To be fair to Google, that is an accurate translation of the text on the original page. It ignores the text contained in the image at the top of the page that translates (approximately) thus:
SRWare Iron: The browser of the future - based on the free source text (? Opensource) Chromium - without thoughts of privacy and secrecy.
EOE.  Smiley
samuria
Grafter

The thing with browser is it isnt really a browser its a O/S for web apps. At the moment it requires an O/S to run it but it has its own taskmanager and each tab runnings in a separate process. I think its aimed at the Cloud and will be there to run all Google apps.
In time it will come as a live cd so you dont need an O/S everyone is talking about the cloud and this is they way things are going in the future this is just a very small start. 
For those that dont know the Cloud put very simply is all your apps are not installed on your pc they all run off a webserver like Google Docs etc. all you documents are stored on some far off server. These can all be shared with the rest of the company as if they were on a local server. The cost saving is into millions as you dont need much of an IT dept there is very little to go wrong with the pc as there is nothing on it and it may be just a low power wise terminal. You dont have to worry about your server as you havent got one no backup to worry about its all safe on some server.
All this and you can get your document anywhere in the world at any time.
Funny this new idea seems to be a old fashioned Mainframe or terminal server
Not applicable

There you are then Samuria - you have confirmed my suspicion that I am a little bit nerdish - I know exactly what the 'Cloud' is.
Didn't know about the other stuff though so thanks for that.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Back in the Early 90's we had that System At Ford MC.  (We also had our own Sat link to US via Goonhilly).  we had full IBM type machines but the progaram were stored remote.  - OK until the link went down then all Hell let loose.  Dont know what they have now as I went to a life of luxury in 96.

Even earlier they had a Wang network  then where I was in the 80' we had these to a DEC PDP 11 and to the main base 25 mile away a "Private" BT line
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Back in the Early 90's we had that System At Ford MC.  (We also had our own Sat link to US via Goonhilly).  we had full IBM type machines but the progaram were stored remote.  - OK until the link went down then all Hell let loose. 

Was this the Ford Tractor place in Boreham House ? http://www.multimap.com/s/A3EngZfI
or Ford Motor Sport at Boreham airfield -
I think the airfield business is closed now - looking at Google maps / satelitte images
I didn't work there - but lived in area for a while.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Nearly but not quite.  It was at the time before it was all mucked  around with, I.E. Ford of Britain Experimental Test about 1960, Tractors did use Boreham House later as a training centre, then when they sold out to Fiat/Massy the place was sold to Private, now has locked gates.
The Airfield is Still Operational flying, not much though, it is the base for Essex Police/Ambulance Helicopters.  At one time my office was in the Control tower.
Ford Competions were also a late comer, a later development with them was to sub off the WWR side to him up North, but they kept the lesser cars at Boreham until faily recently.
Ford Special vehicle have had a variety of locations around Essex, Earls Colns Airfield and Boreham, not sure where they are now, but our old workshops I think I recognised on the TV as the new Police Prep Workshop - Fast Persuit Mitsies and Subaro
I worked most of my time on Commercials, 5cwt up to 48 tonne the large - Made in Langley - Slough were very quitely sold Off to fiat, we had a Small - Millenium Dome built no one would tell us what for, All Italian Labour, we never saw any thing delivered, then we were invited into a presentation Made by TV personaltity Mike Smith.  Hard luck chaps we have sold your work to Fiat.
A  lot of our section were forced to move on, Four of us stuck to our guns and were integrated into the much smaller test section at Dunton- the Main car section being at Lommel in Belguim.  I spent 25 happy years at Boreham.
But as an Annual Holiday every Summer from 89 to 96 I took Transits down to Southern Italy and mixed it with Jag 220's (one of our old muckers in Charge), Mercedes, Lambo, Ferrari, proto   then up to Austria and the Gross Glockner for another 2 weeks  What a Hard life
Edit
Forgot to say most of the 300+acres is now a gravel pit
Edit two
Confirmed special vehicle section is back at Dunton, they have contracted out build to a firm in Colchester.
The car I was trying to remember was the Proto McClaren F1 in about 94, they turned up int the Garage next to us and initially had no facilities and were using our phone and ramp etc.  say a lot of that vehicle well early.  Our Holiday location was the Fiat Auto Pista near Boncora, Puglia, Italy, easy to see on Google, very impressice, perfect round 12 Km track