cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Calendar Sync problems

slowtime
Grafter

Google Calendar Sync problems

I want to synchronize my MS Outlook (2010) calendar with my HTC Android phone.  I have been told that Google's 'Calendar Sync' will do the job.  I have downloaded it but get no sync.  I've followed the Google instructions closely and don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Any ideas please?
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Google Calendar Sync problems

Are you using a Google Calendar as intermediary or trying to go direct from HTC to MS Outlook 2010? I'm not sure the latter is possible but assuming it is are you sure the HTC settings link to the correct Outlook folder?
David
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I use HTC Sync halfway down the page.
HTC Sync for all HTC Android phones
You can use HTC Sync™ to synchronize content between your phone and your PC, including Outlook contacts and calendar entries, Outlook Express contacts, and the bookmarks from your web browser.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
slowtime
Grafter

Thanks for the posts.  To explain a little further...
I've installed 'HTC Sync' so I am able to sync my phone/PC calendars and also sync my HTC 'People' (contacts) and Outlook Contacts.  I do this by connecting the phone to the PC via the USB cable.  It works OK.
Whilst I'm away from the PC I often add calendar entries and 'People' on my HTC phone.  At home I tend to add entries whilst I'm on the PC.  Although I need to test it, I think I can sync phone > PC and PC > phone so keeping both up to date but this is only at home using the USB link.
I want to be able to do away with the USB thing if I can so that I get an automatic sync that happens when ever I update either Calendar/Contacts/People.  I have 'Google Calendar' as well now and have installed  'Google Calendar Sync'.  I did this because I saw on a web page that this would enable an automatic sync operation. So I guess I'm trying to use it as an intermediary.  It doesn't work for me, unfortunately!
I'm not sure how to check in my HTC settings to see if they are linking to the correct Outlook folder so any help here would be useful
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I wasn't sure from your opening post whether your aim was to sync independently of Google Calendar. Since you are working in conjunction with the latter there seems little point in trying to go direct from Outlook to HTC. Even if possible, this would leave Google Calendar out of sync..So I anticipate there being two separate processes:

• MS Outlook <-> Google Calendar

• HTC <-> Google Calendar

Is the problem with the first of these, with the second or with both?
David
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

As far as I know the calendar sync doesn't work with outlook 2010, and it is no longer supported.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
slowtime
Grafter

Thanks again for all the posts.  What I have been able to achieve:
1  I have HTC Sync and Google Calendar Sync installed on my PC.
2  On my PC I can sync Google Calendar with Outlook both ways using Google Calendar Sync.
3  I can sync from my phone (and back from the PC) to/from both Outlook and Google Calendar simultaneously using HTC Sync/Google Calendar Sync (using USB link).
It looks like there is no way that I can do a sync 'through the ether' without the USB connection from phone to PC or PC to phone, which is what I really wanted to do.  I guess I will ditch either Google Calendar or Outlook Calendar and just do a regular phone to PC or PC to phone sync with HTC Sync and USB link.
If you know a way that I can sync remotely, then please let me know!
The posts have been very helpful in guiding me through what can and can't be achieved.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I take that to mean that HTC sync with Google Calendar (directly) is the one not working. Isn't that supposed to be a built in 'feature' of android phones?
If it were working calendar updating between phone and Outlook might not be instantaneous, but should occur within one synchronisation cycle of the devices.
David
slowtime
Grafter

Hello spraxyt,
Thanks for spotting that one.  I thought that I had covered all options.  I've just run through a test as follows:
Event recorded in HTC phone calendar > phone connected via USB to PC and HTC Sync run. > Event appeared first in Outlook but then it also appeared in Google Calendar as the auto refresh cycle came round.  It does work but I can only say that it does, via Outlook.
I ran a second test:
Event recorded in phone calendar > shut down Outlook > run HTC Sync > No event appeared in Google Calendar even when refresh forced > Opened Outlook > Run HTC Sync > Event appeared in Outlook > Event appeared in Google Calendar on refresh.
It may be that I am missing something and HTC will sync directly to Google but I can't see how.
I thought I had specified a timed cycle for the Google Calendar  to refresh (It was an option when I did the download/install).  Do you know how I check/change the refresh cycle?  I couldn't find the option to do this after initial set up.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry I don't use Google Calendar so not familiar with the settings options.
I'm not sure what model of HTC phone you have but I found the following note (second paragraph) in HTC Desire help
Signing in to your Google Account lets you sync Gmail and your Google contacts and calendars between your phone and the Web. You also need to sign in to a Google Account to use Google apps such as Google Talk and Android Market™.
Note: If you skipped signing in to a Google Account when you first set up your phone, you may encounter problems when using some Google apps. If these problems persist, you may need to factory reset your phone and enter your Google Account details when you set up the phone again.
David
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm just trying this out on my HTC Sensation and Outlook 2007 using this guide.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine