cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good email client ?

Lurker
Grafter

Re: Good email client ?

Outlook 2007 here, although I did take a trip down memory lane with Outlook 2000 today.
Not good.
At. All.
Wink
mal0z
Grafter

I'm waiting for all the Linux fans to answer ...............
maybe I should should have split Thiunderbird into two - Linux and Windows ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have Thunderbird on my Asus Eeepc 4g, Linux came preinstalled, used it all over the UK, mainly in IMAP mode, When at home use an XP Laptop again with Thunderbird.
SWBMO has another netbook with XP.  she doesnt like e-mails, so I vet hers first, delete the rubbish, then she can download the rest with OE.
I then download mine again with OE, a bit of my OE file structure is below
Is that OK Mal?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I use gmail, given up with email clients.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
avatastic
Grafter

Outlook 2k7 (and Outlook Web 2k7) at work.
Thunderbird/Squirrelmail/Moto V3i's inbuilt client for my home mail.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I use Thunderbird.
I have two IMAP accounts configured (my work account and personal account), my Usenet account for reading text newsgroups and all of my RSS feeds (although I have started using Google Reader a lot more for this purpose). When I do use Webmail I opt for Squirrel or Roundcube for my personal account although I do have the option of using IMP or Horde too.
I use MozBackup to periodically backup my Thunderbird config, extensions and messages.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mal0z
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback
but I'm just a little surprised than not one person seems to be using Evolution - the Outlook lookalike http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/index.shtml - not even by some of the Linux die hards hereabouts ?.  When I ran a Linux system I found it operated very similarly to the full Outlook programme ( it even interfaced directly with the MS Exchange  mail server. )
Does it have problems ?.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I used Evolution briefly the last time I had Ubuntu installed although I still ended up reverting back to Thunderbird.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

csogilvie
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
Does it have problems ?.

I think you answered that yourself... "I found it operated very similarly to the full Outlook programme"  Tongue Tongue
I use Thunderbird on Windows / Mac / Linux, although occasionally use Kmail on Linux instead. I just couldn't get on with Evolution.
Not applicable

I set up Evolution and KMail but not used them on a regular basis. Both seemed quite adequate and straightforward.
Only thing is that I only download emails that I want to keep and my saved ones are .eml so I really have no use for other email clients.
BTW Bob - how do you get to use Horde? I used it years ago and it was OK.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
but I'm just a little surprised than not one person seems to be using Evolution - the Outlook lookalike http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/index.shtml - not even by some of the Linux die hards hereabouts ?. 

Possibly because the sort of people who use Linux have never got used to the idea of paying for something otherwise free and have never tried Outlook? In which case they won't be looking for something that emulates Outlook. I did look at Evolution a while ago and can't say I was really that impressed (but then I've never really got on with the Gnome environment as a whole).
Personally, having tried a number of MUAs over the years I've settled for Thunderbird for GUI use and pine for CLI use. That's not to say Thunderbird is perfect but it does tick most of the boxes, especially as you can add functionality via addons (using Lightning, Provider for Google Calendar, MagicSLR, Enigmail and Mail Redirect here).
csogilvie
Grafter

I forgot that I also use mutt at the command line for email... now if only I could get some of it's features in to Thunderbird Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: poppy
BTW Bob - how do you get to use Horde? I used it years ago and it was OK.

One of the email providers I use has a couple of Horde installs that you can use to access your mail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well slightly OT, I use Thunderbird for email, used on both platforms I run/ran.
But I have used my OWN email server for many years, along with my own domains, so when/if I move providers I don't have to change email addresses. My current email server (Clarkconnect.com) does the firewall/email/print server on the same box, so I can save a bit of ££ on electric. And all my clients use IMAP so I don't have multiple copies of emails arround, and if my connection is down I still have access to all my email. (my oldest KEPT message dates from 03, so about 6 years I have been doing this.)
This also has the benefit of I can add/change email addresses and have complete control over the incoming mail. (I know PN allow you to add whatever@ to your email, but I only accept a small number of valid addresses and have no "Catchall", but some providers don't). The only thing my mail servers have had in common is they all run on Linux and are FREE or have FREE licenses to personal users. And yes I used to have to provide support to exchange in a large environment (50k + users), but I don't need the "extras" that it provides same with outlook/evolution. I don't need to access someone else's calendar/email  and find that thunderbird with a couple of excellent addons (quote collapse & adblock  ;D) does everything I need. I have it on a USB stick along with other portable apps (see portableapps.com) like firefox & OOO means I can use all my "usual" apps anywhere on almost any machine.
Currently using Horde for webmail as well, along with gmail.