cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good email client ?

mal0z
Grafter

Good email client ?

Rather than highjack Shutters thread even more - I would be interested to know what people use as their email client.
Maybe I've stuck with Mozilla Thunderbird and maybe others are better these days.
Especially interested in views on Evolution as I used that on another Linux machine and it seemed very like the full version of Outlook.
I will add further clients to the list if people ask
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Good email client ?

I use Outlook 2003 purely because the number and size of emails I need to store is closer to a business environment than home use
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Outlook 2003 because I have a license available and it suits my needs as a business/home user.
Edited to include the '2003' bit.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
csogilvie
Grafter

I suggest you split Thunderbird and Seamonkey - there are things in Thunderbird that are not in Seamonkey.
Also, you're missing Mail for the Mac.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'll confess to being an Outlook fan too, having got used to its foibles over several years and currently using it on 10 quite different email accounts simultaneously.
It might be useful to split Outlook into 2003 and 2007 as they are quite different.
Earlier versions are not radically different to 2003 so could be included there.
itsme
Grafter

and 2002 unless someone can let me know how I can upgrade for free?
Santiago
Grafter

Outlook 2007 for me. I have used Outlook for years and got comfortable with it.
I use it for Pop3 and Imap mail, a few RSS feeds and the calendar.
I find to easy to sync Outlook across two machines and also sync my phone with my Outlook contacts.
I also use Outlook Express but for newsgroups only
Not applicable

I am surprised that there are so many people actually using e-mail clients. I had supposed that most people now use webmail.
Just shows what thought did!
Anyway, I use Squirrelmail and Gmail for odds and ends. I only download e-mails to Windows Mail if I am looking to save them e.g. receipts.
itsme
Grafter

The biggest drawback, or it use to be unless it's changed, is that you have to be online to be able to compose and send emails. So if you travel and have to use dialup or pay for WiFi minutes this can rack the bills up. So much easier to compose emails offline using clients.
mal0z
Grafter

I agree - I have emails that go back years ! - archived on files.,
and I much prefer to download and read "offline" even in these days of broadband.
Not applicable

Don't know anyone who saves e-mails for years. Do you have a particular archive system, otherwise it would be very difficult to locate any particular one?
Not to go too far off topic but if anyone from PN is following this thread, I heartily wish that the company would do something about webmail for those of us who use it. Just about everything that can be said about SM has been said in a mammoth thread but the whole thing has stalled once again.
Was on the Roundcube trial and not at all impressed. Used to like the old one that we had before the security breach.
I really wish we could have a nice easy to use, functional webmail - preferably a bit nicer than SM.  Sad
mal0z
Grafter

That in itself is a major reason to use an email client and then take charge of it all yourself.
The only use I have for webmail is when travelling - and keeping track of emails. But as soon as I'm home - I download all emails ontop desktop.
If you have a laptop - you can take charge of youir email anywhere.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mal0z
I have emails that go back years

Ditto.
Just quickly found one from 1996, from my then ISP (dial-up) when I registered my first domain (got about 10 at present), but I'm sure I've got much earlier ones.
barky
Grafter

have used Thunderbird as an email client for a while now, as a portable app with lightning & contacts sidebar -- use it as a store for gmail, plus net mail  -- have outlook 2003 available but never really use it.
have various other webmail accounts for sign ups etc
new version of thuinderbird almost out of beta --- has a TEBE add on (thunderbird extension backup extension) just like the similar FEBE for firefox --- will be all I'd ever need for easy backups etc
barky
Grafter

know some folk that use AO-hell email client & a few who use AO-hell browser -- no matter what I say they won't budge  Grin Roll_eyes
some folks you just give up on as it's best not confuse em too much