cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good degragmenter for WinXP-SP2

RobDickson
Grafter

Good degragmenter for WinXP-SP2

There are so many defragmenting programs around (a lot of them free), it's difficult to know which one to try. I've always used the standard Windows one, but want to try something better. I notice that the guys who did CCleaner have just released a defrag program, but it's still a beta version. There's also a newish one from PCPitStop.
What defrag programs do people here use?
18 REPLIES 18
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Good degragmenter for WinXP-SP2

I use Diskeeper my self on Vista but still use MS defrag on win2k as I see no benefit for running it.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Are you using FAT32 or NTFS?
If FAT32 you need to defragment regularly. With NTFS you often don't see a difference after running it so I rarely bother.
I used to use the defragger that came with norton systemworks but that got too bloated so ditched it.
I now use  O&O Defrag V8 pro from O&O Software. It has a mode where it will run automatically in the background whenever it detects the filesystem needs to be defragmented, so it only runs for a few minutes in the early hours rather than 10 or 20 or more if run from time to time.
7th_star
Grafter

Diskeeper here as well on XP.
hulls
Grafter

I have also used the generic windows defragmenter on XP, but noticed the Ashampoo Winoptimizer version, which seems to work ok.
John
paulby
Grafter

I use Diskeeper on Xp and Vista.  It defragments in the background too with "Set It and Forget It" so you don't have to worry about doing full defrags as often.
holdtight
Grafter

I also use Diskeeper with XP on my home system but the free light version and it does far better than the
built in defrag tool regardless of being designed by the same company
Ive used O&O defrag in the past too which is a very good program and comes highly recommended by many
paulh
Rising Star

paulby
Grafter

AFAIK, Diskeeper uses its own defrag engine.  It used to be one of the tools you could use to defrag disks on WinNT (which didn't have a built in defragger).
I can vouch for the efficacy of Diskeeper - I installed it on my mother-in-law's PC as she didn't know how to defrag the hard drive (I had to do it whenever I was there).  Set it up to defrag automatically in the background and I've not had to do a "manual" defrag since.
It also allows you to do boot time defrags and a manner of other things including defragging and resizing the MFT (all dependent on which version you buy).
edit: typos
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks for all the posts. I use NTFS.
I have occasional crashes, and wondered whether a decent defrag program might sort them out. I've tried everything else, so in an attempt to avoid reinstalling WinXP, I thought I'd try a decent defrag program.
Looks like Diskeeper seems the most popular one at the moment, although I was slightly concerned that download.com's review said that it added 4 minutes to the boot-up time.
paulby
Grafter

I was slightly concerned that download.com's review said that it added 4 minutes to the boot-up time.

Don't know where they got that from.  Both my WinXp laptop and my Vista desktop are running Diskeeper Pro and both boot up in under 2 minutes.
Perhaps they were referring to the bootime defrag. This is something you can set to run at the next boot (you have to set it each time you want it to run, it won't run automatically at each boot) and adds about 4-5 ninutes to the boot time. 
I've only ever done 1 boot time defrag on my machines in the past 6 months.
RobDickson
Grafter

That makes sense.
My PC crashed just before the BIOS memory check the other day, so I doubt that any defragmeter will help. I opened up the case, cleaned out all the dust, removed and refitted all the connectors, and removed, and refitted, the RAM. I also cleaned the RAM connectors. Hopefully that will help, otherwise I think I'll buy a new motherboard.
Thanks for your posts, I'll consider buying Diskeeper once my PC has settled down.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It isn't caused by defragmentation (or lack of it).
It is likely to be your power supply especially if you have added any extra components.
The PSU is most stressed by the power-on surge.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobDickson
Grafter

I haven't added any new components since I built the PC a few years ago. Having said that, the PSU might be on its way out. I'll see how it behaves over the next week or two before deciding whether to do anything else.
PS: Sorry for going slightly off topic.
PPS: I'm still not getting e-mails telling me that there have been replies to threads that I'm interested in.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Click on the yellow triangle on the purple bat at the top/bottom of the topic - I've never tried it yet though!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."