Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash [Solved]

Waldo
Grafter

Re: Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
To keep you up to speed mate, adobe no longer builds flash. It will however have security updates for the next 5 years on it last build. Google have took over by building its own version of flash (pepper) in an attempt to whoo people over to their browser.

More accurate, I think, to say that the Pepper Plugin API (PPAPI) was developed jointly by Adobe and Google; I believe that Mozilla are on record as saying they're simply not interested in working with it (probably more interested in HTML5).
Problem being that both of them have built a version that has SSE2 coding in which is not supported in a lot of old cpus. options for people with these cpus are either use and old version of chrome or get and old flash and put it in latest firefox hence the post Smiley

If Adobe bug 3161034 is anything to go by, Flash 11.2.202.228 was the version which required SSE2 support.
Linux Mint has a Flash 11.0.1.152 package in its Mint 13 repos which might be worth trying; a search for mint-flashplugin on packages.linuxmint.com should find it.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks very much waldo at least now I know which one doesn't work which is a big start. I'll give the on out of mint a try let you know how I get on. I see mention also that 11.1.102.62 may also work and the pepper flash I'm currently using in chrome can also be ripped out and used in FF.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

options for people with these cpus are either use and old version of chrome or get and old flash and put it in latest firefox hence the post Smiley

Or retire the 10 year old CPU and replace it with something newer which should also be faster and more energy efficient.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Not sure if my board can take any others. It's currently got a socket A fastest AMD cpu the board could manage according to the literature with the latest Bios. My board also has the old type ram in 3 gigs worth so I reckon I would probably have to change the board, the CPU and get some ram. Not far off a new machine which is a shame since everything else runs sweet as a nut and there was no need for this SSE2 coding to start with. All previous versions didn't have it and neither does the windows equivalent latest version. They have only did this on the Linux version so between adobe and google they have wrote off my perfectly good machine as far as an up to date secure browser goes fo what appears to be no good reason.
Explains my animosity  Smiley
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I can certainly understand your annoyance, as being a Mac PPC user previously almost everything has dropped support for it. Even though a high end G5 CPU can handle most modern things, that plus the fact of the greater build quality and reliability, these machines will continue to function well beyond most computers.
That's RPM to you!!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I downloaded the mint flash version into software centre. It works a treat but it's version Flash 10.2.161.23 probably my own fault for downloading the oldest from here I've tried updating through the software updater but none were available. Subsequently now when I try and install later dated versions I get an error in the software centre saying "dependency is not satisfiable flash 10.3"
edit: Ahh ok I've got 11.0.1.152 now
avatastic
Grafter

Where did you find it AWB? I have an old laptop I have no intention of replacing as well as a netbook which I'm fairly certain doesn't have SSE2 support.
.deb packages appreciated, but willing to do it by hand if needed! Smiley
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Waldo
Grafter

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you want a patched up version of 10.3, there is the archive: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html
Installation really isn't that difficult - you extract the appropriate file and put it into firefox's plugins directory.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Waldo, there's something wrong with the link you posted mate. That downloads a smaller file that won't install, something to do with dependencies not being met. I downloaded This One the 32 bit deb package which works a treat  Cool Will I need to do anything to lock this package though to stop it updating or anything?
@ avatastic, download the one above. Soon as you click on the deb file the software centre will do the rest for you. Or if you prefer Chrome get version 19.
Just need to import my stuff in from firefox and sync up all my browsers now.
Waldo
Grafter

Waldo, there's something wrong with the link you posted mate.

<slaphead>
Aye, that's the meta-package rather than the actual package (should've been http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/import/m/mint-flashplugin-11/mint-flashplugin-11_11.0.1.152_i386....)
Will I need to do anything to lock this package though to stop it updating or anything?

No, I don't think so; if it wasn't installed through the repos apt isn't likely to upgrade it in future.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Great stuff cheers. Thanks all for their input.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Managed to have a decent IT evening last night, pretty much got my system running exactly how I wanted it. Had XP installed in virtuabox so now I also have access to software I can't get a real alternative to yet. Plenty of life in this old machine yet  Grin 12.04 and XP can run side by side seamlessly even with some heavy xp software running. Real shame that adobe and Google have done this to Linux. I have seen people asking them to do something from schools and charities that are running donated machines with Linux on and the people in charge of the IT policy are concerned about having a outdated flash on their machines but neither google or Adobe have even escalated the problem to worth fixing.
Shame on them both
@ avatastic if you run in a terminal
cat /proc/cpuinfo

look for SSE2 in the output of flags which will tell you if your laptop or netbook is compatible
grimme
Grafter

Re: Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash [Solved]

Hi,
Found this page that has some hint and tips for Flash under Linux - Links provided to the Adobe downloads area are for 11.2 (though it says 10.3), but you can get hold of older versions from the archive section on the Adobe download page.
http://macromedia.mplug.org/
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Re: Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash [Solved]

Thanks grimme glad to see this posts still alive. Lot of people out there being left out still with these cpus. Mine runs sweet as a nut and no need to upgrade my hardware just yet. I actually did a little search on this the other night just to see if anything had moved forward. I came across an obscure post in a google discussion thing which seemed to be some chrome people asking each other what would be required to sort out the issue and what they could do. All of which was well over my head but at least it's being acknowledged.
I'll try out the link you posted and see how I get on with it. Not exactly sure how to go about it and will probably need to uninstall the mint one first to prevent conflicts.
Windows 7 is also the last MS OS that can be used as well with non SSE2 compliant processors. Problem is with OS's being beefed down with resources I bet a lot of people will still think they can get away with running W8 on their systems and buy it only to find their CPU isn't compatible. All sorts of hilarity will ensue.