Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash [Solved]

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash [Solved]

After keeping an eye on the SSE2 situation and flash player I've come to the conclusion neither Adobe or Chrome are intending doing anything about flash and non-supported CPU's.  I have Chrome on some systems and firefox on others so syncing up bookmarks etc is a pita. Decided to go back to using Firefox which imo is less of a resource hog and least problematic. (Plus I feel like I'm being bullied into using chrome  :))
Does anyone know how to get the last working version of Flash player and install it into Firefox? From what I can make out the last working version is 11.1.102.63 (although I may be wrong)
Looks like my systems may be going out of fashion but coming back in as html 5 develops  Grin Looking at Windows 8 it would appear that it also requires a SSE2 compliant cpu so the futures not good for my old work horses.
The version of pepper flash I have in chrome 19 works although I'm not sure if that can be ripped into Firefox. Situation is Adobe's wiped their hands of flash for Linux but allowed google to develop pepper flash as a alternative who are not fixing the SSE2 coding and Firefox isn't going to use the pepper flash. So lose, lose and lose for any linux users with a non SSE2 CPU. Nice!
29 REPLIES 29
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Going back to Firefox need to rip a working flash

The latest shockwave flash is 11.4.402.265
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I know jim, I have posted this issue previously which got to about 5 pages long so thought I'd be best starting a new thread  Smiley In a nut shell versions later than that flash aren't supported by my cpu's. Any versions after 19 of chrome aren't either so the only options left to me would be to use and up to date firefox with an old version of flash player which isn't secure or newer version of chrome with their old pepper flash player. OR dare I say it bite the bullet and go to the dark side with windows 7  Shocked
I'm opting for new firefox with old flash player for now so all my computers just use one browser.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Adobe have continued to released security patched versions of 11.2 for Linux, the latest is 11.2.202.238. There should be some patched versions of 10.3 somewhere, but 10.3 is too old to be much use.
If flash is needed for videos, there's usually a program available to download the video and watch it in a proper video player.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the input ejs. My daughter watches YouTube videos and plays flash games bit miffed that chrome have decided not to support my cpu  so going back to firefox on principle as well as I prefer ff. The more I look into it there was absolutely no need to put sse2 coding in there, wasn't a problem before so why create one when everyone is relying on them for the last working version.   Angry
I'm not even sure what the implications are of having an old version of Flash running. What's the worst that could happen on a Linux system?
Windows doesn't appeal,having to trawl through drivers missus phoning in a panic because the firewall is using scary terminology.  
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Adobe have continued to released security patched versions of 11.2 for Linux, the latest is 11.2.202.238. There should be some patched versions of 10.3 somewhere, but 10.3 is too old to be much use.

After a fair bit of searching I keep getting conflicting reports about which is the last version of flash before SSE2 was being used so I guess the only way forward is to start at version 10 in the archives and keep trying it until I find one that doesn't and roll back one  Undecided I've fell out with Chrome at the minute. I suppose having an updated browser with old flash is marginally better than having an old version browser. Looking round a few places which usually leads me back to one of my own posts  Grin I don't think google are intending doing anything about it and I prefer Firefox as my browser of choice.
Chrome gets a bit of stick when it comes to privacy, not in a position to judge on that one. Chrome defends itself with the old "better browsing experience" chest nut which I've heard before and usually means they are monitoring what you're doing. It appears that Googles whole model is to use your browsing to direct advertising your way. Nothing to hide but I want to find what I'm looking for not what Google wants to sell me. I also found why my laptop was playing up, google automatically updates itself on start up. Apparently it's in the EULA that they reserve the right to do it but it's my machine and I'll put on what I want when I want. It can be stopped with a bit of tinkering so can't see why there isn't just an option to check for updates like all other browsers.
All good and well sitting in the house but when I'm away and using my mobile to organise some digs very annoying. Even shutting Chrome down while it's trying seems to lock up the computer for an eternity.
Worth a short, if all else fails I suppose there is always Chrome 19 and locking down the version.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What's a EULA?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

What's a EULA?
It's me probably getting something totally wrong  Grin The agreement bit we all tick and accept but don't read when were installing software or whatever it's called.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: Un
What's a EULA?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eula
Wink
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

End User Licence Agreement? [Edit] Ah, yes it was. Heloman posted while I was typing this up.
Problems with Google Chrome updater? You should have a look around for Linux Chromium builds, no auto-updaters to mess things up there - all updating is triggered when the user wants to.
There's a similar thing available to Mac users, from freeSMUG. A Chromium stable build with a sparkle updater included.
That's RPM to you!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought chromium doesn't have its own built in flash - so isn't much use if you're primarily interested in getting a working version of flash.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

You can use pepper flash but you have to install it seperataly as opposed to chrome whis is already installed. I would still need the flash that shipped with version 19 of chrome as the one that came with 20 is the SSE2 coding. 19 used the old NPAPI one but that doesn't get me away from google. I hear of people using that version in firefox and some say it doesn't support it. Most people say version 10 of adobe flash definitely works and some versions of 11 Can't pin it down. Most annoying thing is it could have been so easily avoided and fixed by either adobe when they signed out or google when they picked it up.
RPMozley
Pro

Quote from: ejs
I thought chromium doesn't have its own built in flash...

Well, FreeSMUG Mac version does include a flash plugin. Don't know anything about the Linux builds though.  Embarrassed
That's RPM to you!!
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

To keep you up to speed mate, adobe no longer builds flash. It will however have security updates for the next 5 years on it last build. Google have took over by building its own version of flash (pepper) in an attempt to whoo people over to their browser. Problem being that both of them have built a version that has SSE2 coding in which is not supported in a lot of old cpus. options for people with these cpus are either use and old version of chrome or get and old flash and put it in latest firefox hence the post Smiley
RPMozley
Pro

Umm... Thanks? I am aware of your situation as have been reading all (well most) of the posts. Roll_eyes  Well anyway, it's the thought that counts so thanks for clarifying the situation.
That's RPM to you!!