Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going all wireless

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Going all wireless

This is my current setup: the BT master socket is near the front door, I have an extension lead from that to a room upstairs where I have a 2 wire 1800HG router. I have a ethernet cable from the router to the desktop computer and a wireless connection to the laptop.
What I would like to do is move the router downstairs near the master socket and install a wireless board into the desktop. Is this likley to cause problems, I can vaguely remember reading somewhere that at least one computer had to be wired into the router but perhaps this was for setting up only. Any recommendations on wireless boards (pci socket) would be welcome
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Going all wireless

I've had very good results with Edimax PCI wireless cards bought from Dabs.com. Under £20 usually.
They have a separate desktop aerial on a shortish (60cm?) pigtail which makes positioning for good reception easier.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I can vaguely remember reading somewhere that at least one computer had to be wired into the router but perhaps this was for setting up only

yes, its only needed for setting up and such things as firmware updates.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
They have a separate desktop aerial on a shortish (60cm?) pigtail which makes positioning for good reception easier.

That sounds interesting, the cards I was looking at on Amazon had the aerial plugged directly on the card which would have been a bit awkward.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I use them as well - can be bought from http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=152539
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: MisterW
[quoteat least one computer had to be wired into the router but perhaps this was for setting up only

yes, its only needed for setting up and such things as firmware updates.

How would setting up be done on a wireless only laptop, assuming it was the only computer in the household? I was also thinking if I set up my system as I described above I would have to set up my desktop computer downstairs temporary if I ever had to replace the router or - I asume - if I changed isp's
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Most wireless routers need to be configured via a wired connection to set things like WIRELESS up. Some of the more recent ones (and most BT supplied routers) have the wireless already configured using the serial number or other number for the wireless encryption. This is normally noted on a label on the router and in the documentation.
However... things like firmware updates normally require a wired connection as it needs to be done withou any break in the connection, which can happen with a wireless connection, so you may need some way to connect a PC wired, this is especially important if  the wireless stops working.
paulgul
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply Peter,
I've never done a firmware upgrade on my router so I don't think I'll worry about that. Hopefully if I ever have to buy a new router it will be already setup, It'll save some trouble.