cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail documents

Not applicable

Gmail documents

I use Gmail documents very occasionally.  Today I logged in and on All Items I have things there that are nothing to do with me. Three have 'everyone' by the side and one says Not Shared but they are sharing it with me and I don't want it! 
Does anyone else see this and if so, how do you get rid of these spurious entries?
My own docs have got Not Shared by the side but that seems to be no guarantee that others can't see them because as I mentioned above, one of the strange entries also shows Not Shared. This particular one also shows when I click Owned By Me.
Although there is nothing very private or confidential I am wondering if I ought to just clear the lot out and close it.  Undecided
6 REPLIES 6
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: Gmail documents

The everyone documents are documents you've opened through a weblink, Google spotted it was you and saved a link in your folder.
The private documents "shared" with you have been emailed to you, even if you never saw the email (maybe it ended in spam, or you deleted without reading, or you forgot) and because they were "emailed" Google adds them to your document lists.
I would imagine there is a way to get rid of them from your document lists, although I've never tried myself (I use Google docs a lot for many purposes).
Your documents are not shared with anyone unless you have shared them.
Not applicable

As long as mine can't be seen then that's OK.  TBH I am always a bit worried about the Gmail account because there is so much written about snooping.  Trouble is, it is a really good and useful service.  BTW can anyone tell me why I have that notice about changing from Googlemail to Gmail?  I have always used @gmail anyway.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Depending on what country you were in and when you signed up depends on what email address Google told you, you could use.
However, regardless of what address they told you you could use, you could infact use all of them.  So its quite possible you signed up expecting a gmail.com address, were told something different, didn't realise, used gmail.com and never noticed, because after that there was nothing to notice.
gmail accounts are as secure, if not more secure than many, the snooping you read about is to do with Google using the content of your emails to show you context sensitive adverts.  As for hacking, well for the most part thats down to you and how you handle your password, and thats at least as true for any other email service as it is for gmail.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There was a reason why they were not allowed to use gmail in the country (someone else owned the name?), hence googlemail. Once that got resolved we could start using gmail. Some of the earlier users got in before gmail was nobbled for the UK, you may have been one of those.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
artificer
Grafter

my gmail account had to change to googlemail.com over the name brouhaha, but i was recently invited to choose and reverted to gmail.com.
Not applicable

Thank you for all the reassuring comments.  Gmail has its down side but is way ahead in terms of (mail) functionality when compared with SM so will probably stick with it, particularly as I use Reader for downloaded podcasts from Radio 4.
However, I do like Zoho which has documents and what-have-you too but but none of the ads.