Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail and (lack of) privacy

FIXED
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Gmail and (lack of) privacy

Sorry - got the imap thing wrong as its a suggested method of importing old emails into proton mail.

This is starting to look very complicated.

Since I've got spare time on my hands, I might have a go at using the Rpi to send/receive email to a free domain.

At least if I do it on the RPi my PC will be protected against getting messed up by major lumps of software getting configured.

I've found https://samhobbs.co.uk/raspberry-pi-email-server which says it explains how to do things (its a bit dated) and doesn't seem to involve any email encryption - which is probably a big help.

We shall see...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

JPN
Rising Star

For around the £50 mark, you could purchase a web server account that provides multiple email accounts that you have full control over, as well as storage space, and a domain thrown in. All the complex configuration would be done for you.  That's what I have. I run a number of email addresses and multiple web sites for the £50.   Have a look at something like www.pacwebhosting.co.uk offer.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

For the same amount you can own the hardware - RPi - and the physical media your personal emails are stored on with far less risk of it being spied on unlike a hosting package.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

That is assuming you have the abilities to run a secure mail server.

VileReynard
Hero

I did wonder about security - I might just end up with an open relay, useful for any spammers out there.

If Plusnet can't run a mail server, I'm doubting that my amateur efforts would turn out better. Cheesy

But I'm still thinking of giving it a try but only as an exercise so that I can say that "I did it".

I wouldn't trust any important emails to a RPi anyway.

VileReynard
Hero

Thanks to everyone who contributed - learned that email is actually very complicated.

7up
Community Veteran

You could always run a mini-itx system and install a windows mail server on that - point and click configuration rather than loads of config files.

SMTP servers are not that complicated to be honest, what they do is quite simple. It's the authors of them that over complicate things with too many settings etc.

VileReynard
Hero

Discovered that you can set-up a headless RPi with no keyboard or TV/video connection required at any stage.

Very easy to get ssh (with a password) working.

7up
Community Veteran

I think nearly all computers (maybe not hte early ones from the 90s and before) are capable of headless running, I've only ever used my RPi on the TV a few times. Once I had x11vnc setup so that i could login from another device i went headless from that point on.

I've also got that attitude with my windows machines - install, get terminal services working and then go headless. The only gotcha with headless is tinkering with firewalls or IP addressing. 

If you can get your mail server running on the RPi then it's literally two wires and you can leave it running nice and cheaply.

VileReynard
Hero

A RPi isn't really a machine to trust with possibly important emails - its mass storage options are strictly limited.

Then there are the security considerations, since I would be exposing at least one inbound port - 25 and possibly more if I manage any of the secure ports.

I'm really going to have a go at this, to see how far I get.