Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghostery

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ghostery

Oh Deary Me...... Ghostery has decided to "update" its image, and messed up all previous blockings.... Clicked on Firefox this morning and was presented with a Ghostery home page with a tutorial... didn`t want it... so closed it, and tried again... same page appeared... eventually got Google up, and clicked on the bookmark for the forum... and....
Ghostery was showing two trackers..... also the notification box had moved from top right to bottom right corner ... so I blocked the two trackers , and then found the "tools" page of Ghostery...
Seems like they have stopped all previous tracking.... and you can go back to the original Ghostery if you want..... further investigaion on the settings showed the 2 blocked that I had just done and something like 1900 others NOT BLOCKED... just off screen ( bottom ) is the option to "select all"... so I did... and now it looks like we are back to original state.....
Why?  What was the point of this "re-vamp"... especially leaving all the previously blocked trackers wide open....
5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Ghostery

TBH Ghostery is a bit of a placebo , it makes money from advertisers  Embarrassed
personally i think its unnecessary ,FF 31 or any FF just click tell sites i dont want to be tracked  Wink and use ADblock
its just bloatware
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

I agree with rongtw
That is sensible advice Wink
IanSn
Rising Star

In defence of Ghostery, they only make money from advertisers if you agree to have data passed back to them, its an option. Switch it off if you don't want it. I think that's more transparent than some other products' moneymaking activities.
Telling sites you don't want to be tracked does not stop trackers altogether, you'll stil find tracking cookies if you look. Doesn't stop other kinds of unwanted cookies either.
I actually find Ghostery useful, there's a notification of all cookies when they happen, you can unblock and reblock in situ if necessary.
Haven't had any probs myself on latest update. (Touch wood.) Though the update process is confusing. Be nice if they sorted that out...
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Agreed.... Never had any problems... and it is "nice" to be able to see.... who is tracking you,....I do also run adblock....
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Do not track doesn't cover things like google analytics or Facebook buttons for instance.
I use ghostery and have no issues, as iansn says they are open about it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'