cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geolocation: suddenly Plusnet provides innacurate location

ModelCitizen
Grafter

Geolocation: suddenly Plusnet provides innacurate location

Until a few days ago the location of my family members was always reported correctly when their devices were connected to our Plusnet provided wireless home network. Now, however we all seem to in the middle of a reservoir nearly a mile away. This is not ideal when you are trying to keep tabs on a depressed teenager.
Has something changed recently to with geolocation via Plusnet services?
BTW. If we turn off the wireless so our devices use O2 GSM our locations are reported accurately again.
8 REPLIES 8
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Geolocation: suddenly Plusnet provides innacurate location

It may be helpful to give more details about the Geolocation system/software you are using.
Plusnet does not provide any Geolocation service (that I am aware).
Phones will often use WiFi, GSM trilateration or GPS for geolocation. GPS will provide the best accuracy out doors. 
ModelCitizen
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. The location service on our Android phones is set to use GSM, GPS and Wireless (I.e high accuracy setting). Up until a few days ago locations were always reported extremely accurately (so accurately we have often used it to locate lost phones). Now, however as soon as we connect to our home wireless network we get a drenching in the nearby reservoir!
I think all the location services I use are provided via Google, but mainly we use Googly+ for tracking.
I'd like to understand how my home wireless network figures in geolocation if its position is not supplied by Plusnet somehow.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

When Google spend around the camera cars for their maps program , the cars also listen for  every WiFi network broadcast and save that data along with the mapping data. So Google know roughly where a WiFi network is.
And the Android/Apple device knows you WiFi name so it is easy for Google to show where you are.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
chillypenguin
Grafter

The geolocation of your home WiFi is not provided by PlusNet. It's provided by you, or more accurately your Android phones.
Periodically your phone will report back to google using GPS to determine its location and report the wireless networks in range.
Then when there is no GPS coverage for example indoors, google can use the wireless networks in range to determine your location.
It sounds like this information has been updated with some erroneous GPS co-ordinates. In our case google is about 200 metres out.
I am not sure how you would go about forcing an update with more accurate co-ordinates.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: georgelnx
When Google spend around the camera cars for their maps program , the cars also listen for  every WiFi network broadcast and save that data along with the mapping data. So Google know roughly where a WiFi network is.
And the Android/Apple device knows you WiFi name so it is easy for Google to show where you are.

Google doesn't use StreetView cars to pick up Wi-Fi location data any more. They use your smartphone...
ModelCitizen
Grafter

Thanks chaps. I've got it now. I think I'll just have to wait till Google updates the data.
How we managed to end up in the middle of a large reservoir beats me though!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: ModelCitizen
How we managed to end up in the middle of a large reservoir beats me though!

Maybe it's the ghost of a flooded village when they built the reservoir.  Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63