Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question on Linux

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: General question on Linux

Beats me how two pieces of software can generate such passionate division Huh
Maybe if we didn't have religion, wars could be fought over them.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ HB.... several times, I have referred to the OP... and several times I have, either directly, or indirectly, answered the question by stating that Linux does things differently... It is not me who has this "Linux is better/superior" attitude when answering queries, or putting my point of view....
Mostly it is the Linux fraternity that consistently, "down" microsoft/windows  very rarely do you see postings of the opposite gender.  i.e stating that Microsoft is better/superior to Linux.
I still stand by my views, that Linux does it differently and that will always be a "bugbare" with many who would like to us Linux instead of Microsoft, .....be they "renting" it, .......or be it "given" free...... when they purchase a new machine.  ....
As for "blowing Hot Air"!.... my windows laptop does not do that.......  Cheesy
And regarding the post of "foxy"..saying how mad he is because Windows downloads your pics "by default" to MY PICS folder...  . and your mention of Mint downoloading pics to GIMP  by default.... which is already installed by "bloat" of the MINT install..... you see?  nothing is so much different between the two operating systems...  I don`t like GIMP so if I use Mint... I have to unistall it... just the same as if I use Windows, I don`t use PAINT... I install Irfanview on both... Nowt different there, then,  is there...
My views, and comments on this thread, have in no way, referred to my difficulties of using Mint...  You brought that up, and Foxy brought up the points about downloading to MY PICs.  so, instead of berating me, for going off topic, I suggest you take a look at what you both have said in this thread, and how it has drifted "off topic" because of those postings.
Take a leaf out of your own book, and stick to the original topic.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OT Due to Shutter still stirring it up.  Sad
Quote from: shutter
Take a leaf out of your own book, and stick to the original topic.

Well I refer you to MY original post, the one after the question. Who is it that has 5 posts in this thread that HAS NOTHING TO DO with the subject?
You may find Gimp to be "bloatware" but there are MILLIONS of others who would disagree with you, on both platforms.
Quote from: shutter
be they "renting" it, .......or be it "given" free...... when they purchase a new machine.  ....

Read the EULA, It is RENTED no matter how you got it, and you did not get it "FREE" with a new pc, the manufacturer PAID M$ for it, and passed the cost on to you.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I suggest Shutter asks a slightly more specific question about Linux.
He would then get a rather more useful answer.
For example:- how do I install a driver?
Or:- how can I try out Linux without writing to my hard disk?
Comments which imply that "Windows does it better" in the absence of some knowledge of Linux
are guaranteed to bring out OT complaints about M$.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Having downloaded, and run several copies of Mint... I am quite aware how to install and use Linux...
You may recall, I have had problems with trying to run some favourite microsoft programs on linux, and have been advised to use linux alternatives... unfortunately the alternatives need two or three different programs to cover functions I use on one microsoft program. However, as I have pointed out, and HB  has already stated ...  this is "off topic". and the OP question has been answered, hopefully, by stating that... "linux does it differently"...  not that windows is better , or as you keep insisting Linux is superior. .
In my responses on this, there is no question I am asking, specific or otherwise, about using Linux..
I can use Linux Mint... in a limited fashion, but only because as previously mentioned,. to do what I want to do on linux Mint... requires three  seperate programs...

Comments which imply that "Windows does it better" in the absence of some knowledge of Linux
are guaranteed to bring out OT complaints about M$.

If you read carefully, there is no mention, by me, that "Windows does it better"...  I suggest you retract/apologise for that insinuation... and yes, I do have "some knowledge of Linux.

how can I try out Linux without writing to my hard disk?

Download and burn a copy of any linux distro.... insert the CDROM/DVDROM in your cd/dvd player.... boot up your machine, and wait for it to "load".... the distro is being run from the cdrom/dvdrom and not written to the hard drive, neither will any files or work done be save to the hard drive.  to Install the distro on the hard drive only needs the end user to click on the "install XXX" button, and wait for the install to run,and complete.  in just the same way as windows does.  During the install procedure, you will be asked various questions, in exactly the same way as installing windows on any hard drive..

Does that answer your question, Foxy ?
VileReynard
Hero

That's an excellent reply.  Cheesy
Very useful too.

shutter
Community Veteran

Thank you for the compliment.....
You have now learned something from me....
VileReynard
Hero

It seems you a bit of a Linux geek after all !!!  Grin

shutter
Community Veteran

Perhaps you will treat me with respect, now.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

This topic seems to have generated a fair amount of strong views about Linux & Windows which seems to have drifted off from my original post.
I Find it hard to understand why such strong views exist on this topic.
If you prefer Windows use Windows, if you prefer Linux then use Linux .
Personally I use both via a dual booting system which Linux gives you the option to do when being installed.
I Always use Linux when on line and use Windows when off line so no need for firewalls or anti virus software messing thing up when using Windows, it also allows me to run software that simply would not work on Linux.
As Linux is free and much of the software that comes with it is free as well it seems daft not to take advantage of it.
Both OS have caused me a few minor problems but nothing that was no easily sorted out.
I Know little about programming but this setup works for me so I guess people use what they consider to be the best option for them.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Heloman
Grafter

A very clear and sensible post that equates very much to my Linux/Windows experience.
I never saw a computer until after my retirement when I was given one as a present. For three years I learned by trial and error how to use Win 98. Eventually I got tired with having boot failures every few months which required re-installation (about 5 hours work on average, I found).
So I tried Linux and much to my surprise found it no more difficult to learn from scratch than Windows.
I now run PCLinuxOS as my main OS, but I have kept the Windows 7 that came (at a cost) with my new computer. However I rarely use Windows (unless my sisters ask for help with theirs !)
except to keep it updated monthly. That drives me mad as it takes so long and then, unlike Linux, requires re-booting.
I also have other distros installed just to check them out. At present they are Mint16 and SolydK (a new user friendly distro which looks promising)
I've always found that everything I need is available in the PCLOS repository, so I fear I can't help with your query about .tz file assembly  Sad