cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games

Not applicable

Games

Wen I have tried Ubuntu 10.04 as live CD, if all is compatible I am going to install it as dual-boot with XP on my friend's computer principally for the games to entertain her grandchildren.
Just wondered if anyone can recommend suitable ones for them?  There are so many to choose from and I am not into games so not sure which are suitable for children of junior school level.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Games

My children love "Trigger"
[quote=from Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager]Trigger is a free 3D rally car racing game. Fun for all the family!
You race a sequence of 6 courses, with increasing levels of difficulty.
It has simple controls, and the aim of the game is to drive around various off road courses in the fastest time, although you also have to beat the clock so you can't hang around !
MrC
Grafter

Extreme Tux Racer?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Frets on Fire?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

gcompris is a compilation of games for younger children.  if ubuntu uses synaptic as a front end, you can search by section and look up games.  knetwalk involves connecting a bunch of monitors to a power supply and comes in several levels.  atomix is a sokoban style game with a twist.  both of those i think would suit 8 years and upwards, whereas gcompris is for children starting out on their life adventure.
tuxpaint and tuxtype are also for youngsters, but just as much fun for any age.  there's yahtzee, xscrabble, lots of card games.
i find it helps to install some games, evaluate them and then decide which might appeal to children.
Not applicable

Thank you for all suggestions. Will get started this week in time for school holidays (just in case of rainy days).
eneville

Quote from: poppy
Just wondered if anyone can recommend suitable ones for them?  There are so many to choose from and I am not into games so not sure which are suitable for children of junior school level.

freeciv should be fun, although I've not played it I've heard its great. Chess was always my favourite as a child.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Will get started this week in time for school holidays (just in case of rainy days).

In Britain during the summer holidays  Shocked no Poppy I think you should be ok  Roll_eyes