cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNOME 3.0

The_10th
Grafter

Re: GNOME 3.0

Used GConf too to move the minimise etc buttons from left to right. Didn't like the direction Ubuntu was going with that - why change something that everyone was used to including potential Windows' PC users?
Interesting regarding Unity but had hoped the next release would not have been so dramatic on the desktop. Will stay with Ubuntu Maverick for a while and see how things go - 28th April not far off now!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Whilst I'll probably burn a (rewritable) CD as a live disk to try it, I'll not be touching it with a proverbial bargepole!
All that effort on Unity will mean that the whole OS is likely to be very buggy.
Plus I don't think anything of substance has been done to any applications.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fourfourdevon
Grafter

As Ubuntu almost exclusively don't develop apps, but instead package them into Ubuntu, I'm not sure how their focusing efforts on Unity can impact the development of the apps.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: The
Interesting regarding Unity but had hoped the next release would not have been so dramatic on the desktop. Will stay with Ubuntu Maverick for a while and see how things go - 28th April not far off now!

"We will make that [Unity] our default desktop in 11.04 this April, and we have an implementation both for high-end computers with OpenGL and for low-end computers where memory and graphics are less advanced, in Qt. By 12.04 LTS, that will be the only desktop experience in Ubuntu"
                                                                                                                                                          Mark Shuttleworth
I guess until 12.04 comes around you can still use Classic GNOME
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Waldo
No, you will have to use Gnome 3, which is at least as big a jarring move as Unity, except it's possibly less buggy.
VileReynard
Hero

"We will make that [Unity] our default desktop in 11.04 this April, and we have an implementation both for high-end computers with OpenGL and for low-end computers where memory and graphics are less advanced, in Qt. By 12.04 LTS, that will be the only desktop experience in Ubuntu"
                                                                                                                                                          Mark Shuttleworth

As I read http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/ubuntu-1110-will-not-ship-with-classic.html
11.04 will be the LAST version of Ubuntu to have a non-Unity option.

The_10th
Grafter

Mark Shuttleworth

Thanks for the info. I guess there may well be a large influx to other distros (Mint for instance which has impressed me) or even away from *nix altogether. I do think this is moving away from what Linux is about and Ubuntu shouldn't be forcing this on their users at least until it is completely stable and users want it.
VileReynard
Hero

BTW Just loaded Xbuntu (XFCE) and tried it.
It's very limited and not an alternative to Ubuntu.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Thanks for the info. I guess there may well be a large influx to other distros or even away from *nix altogether to Mint for instance which has impressed me when used in the past. I do think this is moving away from what Linux is about and Ubuntu shouldn't be forcing this on their users at least until it is completely stable and users want it.
Erm, Mint is Linux.
As for this not being what Linux is about, sorry, there many distro's out there, and each has made decisions for you, forcing you this way or that.
Your choices are
Use Mac/Windows
Select a distro more to your liking
Build your own distro
Canonicals decision with Ubuntu and Unity is certainly contraversial, but I can't see it as against the spirit of anything.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Thanks for the info. I guess there may well be a large influx to other distros or even away from *nix altogether to Mint for instance which has impressed me when used in the past. I do think this is moving away from what Linux is about and Ubuntu shouldn't be forcing this on their users at least until it is completely stable and users want it.
Erm, Mint is Linux.
As for this not being what Linux is about, sorry, there many distro's out there, and each has made decisions for you, forcing you this way or that.
Your choices are
Use Mac/Windows
Select a distro more to your liking
Build your own distro
Canonicals decision with Ubuntu and Unity is certainly contraversial, but I can't see it as against the spirit of anything.

I know Mint is Linux, just the way I quickly typed the message but will edit to avoid any confusion for those not in the 'know' Smiley
The decision is controversial but really there isn't any need to force this through without stability or winning people across. Windows certainly has made good progress with 7 and is my first choice OS as it just works. Linux has made great steps into the desktop world but could be held back in its popularity with arguably the most popular version going through with a major change such as this.
Of course the arguments will go on and proof of pudding etc will come into play. Shan't be losing sleep over it though  Grin
fourfourdevon
Grafter

People seem to think that major change is only coming because of UNITY, it's not.
Check out GNOME3, it looks like and works like UNITY.
Sure some people will want to stick with GNOME2, but its not a long term option, GNOME2 is no long developed and will soon get to the point where it cannot be used at all.
VileReynard
Hero

I blame the mobile phone.
Why fix something that isn't broke?

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Personally, requiring OpenGL seems a step too far for me. A great advantage of GNU/Linux based systems is their ability to run on more modest hardware, and this is somewhat thrown out of the window by forcing users to have OpenGL capabilities.
Also, GNU/Linux has traditionally focussed on functionality. The move to OpenGL seems to be a move to eye candy rather than solid, working systems that don't eat resources.
On the other hand one of the great things about the GNU/Linux environment is that I can make the choice, I don't have to use ubuntu (in fact I never have), I can use whatever window manager I want on whatever distro I want. Unfortunately this is limited to 'power' users, but as more people use things like ubuntu, more people will move in to the 'power' user bracket.
VileReynard
Hero

I shall try the live CD - but I won't be upgrading any Ubuntu for a minimum of a few months, due to the inevitable bugs.
Ubuntu is all about the triumph of presentation over content these days.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

lol, Linux fans for so long wanted Linux to become a/the desktop of choice.
Now, it hasn't become "the" desktop of choice, but in Ubuntu it has become a desktop of choice for many, and I now I read increasing numbers critising Ubuntu for many of the reason they have for years critised Windows.
It's funny.
Personally I'm very happy with Ubuntu, and the Unity/Gnome thing is being thrust on us all, not by canonical, but by a whole bunch of people (including canonical) I'm not happy about it, and in many respects its the first time I've witnessed the open source world force change of this kind on its users.  But I'm assuming, despite my misgivings that it must be the right thing, as no one has forked GNOME and the closest anyone has come to forking it Canonical with UNITY, and all they have done is basically replicate the same ideas.