Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNOME 3.0

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: GNOME 3.0

I tried a DVD of 64 bit Mint (version 10) yesterday.  Sad
It booted the kernel (command line display)
But it just sat there after about 10 minutes, displaying a green 'L' with 5 moving green dots.
This is on a normally Ubuntu PC.
Keep trying. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
I must admit I don't get PPAs. It just seems like an automated build of a .deb from source, which is really easy to do with a few commands, and no uploading.
It maybe simple for those that know, but for ordinary end users, all they want is a file they can click, and a PPA fulfils that requirement.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

ppa's aren't automated builds. Someone has to build the deb file then upload it. Given the "fun" I have had in the past getting some things to compile it is just a lot easier - also when a new version is available it just appears in the Update list you don't have to go looking for a new source package.
As to a Mint 10 DVD failing to load - did you verify the download hash? Only ones I have had fail on me like that are the Fedora ones  Angry
Ben_Brown
Grafter

That makes even less sense, anyone with access to a webserver can host a repository without much effort at all.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yes but would we trust "Ben's Pleasure Palace of Software" or the Ubuntu ppa web site? I know which I would prefer  Cheesy
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Hosting a repository takes some effort to setup, hosting a PPA is just a case of making the file available on a webserver.
You are letting your own experience and knowledge blind you to the lack of experience and knowledge of many others and what people without your experience and knowledge find easy as opposed to what you find easy.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Hairy
As to a Mint 10 DVD failing to load - did you verify the download hash? Only ones I have had fail on me like that are the Fedora ones  Angry

Tried another download and a fresh DVD and it worked.
I don't usually bother doing md5 checking... Cry
Whilst I'm not (yet) a mint fan, at least the window controls etc are in the "right" places...

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Why would you trust any PPA repo? Looking at the docs briefly it doesn't look like there's any testing of the contents at all. It just looks like a hosting service for apt repos.
Using a Personal Package Archive (PPA), you can distribute software and updates directly to Ubuntu users. Create your source package, upload it and Launchpad will build binaries and then host them in your own apt repository.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

True it is an unchecked source BUT I would think that if any malicious s/w made it on there it would be removed quickly. It is more along the way we as Linux users get s/w we tend to use repo's FIRST and websites second as opposed to M$ users who will blatantly download anything and everything  Cheesy
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Actually I've always felt PPA's were a security hole, I download from official repo or from the projects website only, and only then where I know the project has a good reputation.
I wouldn't want to go back to the Windows way.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I certainly wouldn't add any old ppa to my list and do prune it quite often, I have found Ubuntu Tweak good for doing this and suggesting new ones to add. But to get things like Libre Office on without continuously adding/checking for new versions the ppa is a real benefit.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: A
I don't usually bother doing md5 checking... Cry
Whilst I'm not (yet) a mint fan, at least the window controls etc are in the "right" places...

I use DownThemAll and just paste the md5/sha1 hash into the box provided - saves checking it after manually.
VileReynard
Hero

I find bit torrent always downloads distros faster than http or ftp.
But that's Plusnet's "traffic shaping".

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Your kidding me, I find the exact opposite.  Bittorrents can take hours, days even depending on circumstances, a complete ISO image comes down in minutes.
VileReynard
Hero

I find that if you insist on "encrypted" torrents then this mostly bypasses the Plusnet throttler.
Distro torrents always come at line speed - typically 450KBps (my line isn't dramatically high speed).
Downloads from "download" sites get severely throttled at different speeds in the daytime.