cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GNOME 3.0

Waldo
Grafter

GNOME 3.0

With GNOME 3.0 due for official release on Wednesday I thought I'd try the LiveCD of the latest release.
Despite all the fuss about Ubuntu opting for Unity instead of the GNOME Shell it's clear there are a number of similarities between the two, and, just as in Ubuntu's netbook edition with Unity, GNOME 3.0 will have a fallback option which uses the regular (or very similar) GNOME UI (primarily for the benefit of those whose graphics drivers don't provide hardware acceleration).  Looks like it will take a little getting used to.  Smiley

82 REPLIES 82
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Re: GNOME 3.0

Personally, having been following (loosely) the developments in GNOME, I have to say, I feel the GNOME developers have lost the plot, with minimise and maximise buttons being removed in an effort to teach users how to use the interface properly  Sad I think they need to learn some humility and realise that people will use things the way they want to use them, and that may or may not be the way the developers intended, but good software just works for the users, rather than makes the users work.  I read some criticism of Unity (in terms of usability) but they seem no worse than those in GNOME3, so I'm looking forward to Unity and hope that it brings some much needed sanity to the Linux desktop.
My favourite quote on this subject "KDE never saw an option they didn't like, GNOME never saw one they did."
Just sit back and let that sink in, and realise what it means for both the future of KDE and GNOME.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

AFAIK Ubuntu is allowing mandating the use of an older version of Gnome in the forthcoming release.
Since Unity and Gnome 3.0 appear to be as bad as each other, I'll have plenty of time to find out what needs to be done to customise one of them so that it appears like the current version.
There's nothing particularly wrong with the current GUI (on a desktop).
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

fourfourdevon
Grafter

The next version of Ubuntu will ship with Unity by default, but will allow you to use GNOME.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm far too elitist to use Gnome Tongue
ratpoison is the one for me.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The release date has been put back to Sept for Gnome 3.
As to where Ubuntu is going  Crazy I don't have/want a touch screen PC, and that is what Unity was/is developed for, at least Mint is staying with Gnome for the foreseeable future.
There have been lots of "reviews" of Gnome 3/shell and Unity and none that I have read particularly like either of them.. Sure there are some Ubuntu fan-boys out there that will say not matter how wrong it is it is great but that's the beauty of Linux if we don't like the latest version we can always try another distro/desktop.
VileReynard
Hero

I thought Mint ran on the coat-tails of Ubuntu?  Grin

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Then you are behind the times there mate  Cheesy
It is no more an "Ubuntu with some add ons" than Ubuntu is "Debain with some add ons".
The Mint Menu has been picked up by some other distros as well  Cool
Will you be blindly following Ubuntu later this month and using unity as your desktop? For me that is a step too far- I use UNR launcher on my EEE but don't want it on my main PC's  Crazy
VileReynard
Hero

If Ubuntu removes Gnome support, then Mint is a very strong candidate for me.
Actually is a pure "Debain" distro very hard to use?
A Unity style layout is O.K. for a mobile or a small netbook, but very stupid on my 22" widescreen desktop.

fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: A
Actually is a pure "Debain" distro very hard to use?
Not really, especially as they are now introducing many of the Unbuntu features, including the software centre, the problem with Debian for most is that their release schedule is... well... many years between releases, so you are left to perform upgrades yourself, which depending on the packages, its dependencies and what other packages you've chosen to upgrade or not may or may not be difficult.
Debian is not for, in so much as I don't want to invest that level of time and effort into having a good OS, I can't see Ubuntu really messing things up, they've got too much to loose and too many migration options for their users.  So I'll stick worth Ubuntu for now, and if they really really do mess it up, then I'll be looking at Mint etc
HairyMcbiker
All Star

There is even a Mint based on Debian - LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) that you can choose to use the stable release or the testing release of Debian on it.
I tried it but I have so many ppa's that I didn't stick to it (Isn't Virtualbox great  ;D) But I could probably move to it if I needed to, and replace the ppa's with source builds again  Tongue
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Debian PPA's have in my so far limited experience of using PPA's worked on Ubuntu, I suspect they would work on Mint too, or indeed any Debian based distro.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Debian is pretty easy to use these days, but as has been pointed out it can be a bit slow on it's release schedule. The flipside of this though is that it is generally very stable.
Also debian are stricter with the licensing of packages it includes, so certain hardware isn't as well supported out of the box, it's generally just a case of adding the 'non-free' repository to your sources and installing from there.
Full disclosure: I've been using debian for many years now so I'm very used to 'the debian way', which may take some getting used to.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: fourfourdevon
Debian PPA's have in my so far limited experience of using PPA's

I wasn’t talking about Debian ppa's but Ubuntu ones - I have no experience of Debian ones although as you say they should work
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I must admit I don't get PPAs. It just seems like an automated build of a .deb from source, which is really easy to do with a few commands, and no uploading.