Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G or N card

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

G or N card

I Have been having a few  connection problems with a laptop and some internet sites have indicated the cause could be having a g card in the laptop trying to connect to a n router.
How do I check what card is in the laptop and is it possible to run 2 different routers on the same phone line at the same time. ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: G or N card

Regarding the second point - only by putting one of them in bridge mode from the first
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

What sort of connection (or connectors) would you need to do that ?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd say the whole premise is pretty implausible.
You can however buy quite good and cheap USB wireless-N adaptors if you want to try one.
I've had excellent results with the EdiMax EW-7711UAn and they're only about £10.
As for 2 routers I'd forget about that, it's for the technically accomplished and probably isn't what you're assuming it is anyway.  Cool
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

So before I start spending my hard earned cash (I'm actually on a pension) so it's someones elses hard earned cash how do I check the laptop to confirm it's a g ?
Also if it's a g & I get this adaptor I assume it's just plug & play and will not clash in anyway with the g ?
Thanks for this info as it does seem my best way forward.
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Depending on the Laptop, OS and type of card, if you look at the description of the network adapter in the network connections, it's likely to give you a good hint. If it says AGN or something similar you have an N, if it says BG or ABG then you probably have a G. If it says neither, note how it identifies the adapter and Google for that.
Another way to tell (assuming a Windows OS) is to connect when close to the router. Look at the Network tab in Task manager and see what the "Link Speed" says. If it says 54Mbs you have a G connection, if it says 108Mbs or something similar then you have an N connection to the router.
A cheap experiment - if the laptop is the only thing that connects by wireless to the router - would be to tell the router to only connect as G. I would expect most N routers to have that facility.
Make sure you have the latest drivers for the laptop card (now that you know what it is) - they can make a big difference to reliability - especially if the laptop is a few years old.
Waldo
Grafter

If you're using Linux....
$ sudo lshw -C network
[...]
  *-network
      description: Wireless interface
      product: AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
      vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
      logical name: wlan0
      version: 01
      serial: 00:23:4d:02:f5:6e
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
      configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=3.0.0-1-686-pae firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.103 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes  wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for that information it has been very helpful.
I Have ordered an adapter from Amazon so fingers crossed it will do the trick.