Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.dmt stuck

buffalo4x4
Hooked

G.dmt stuck

Hi all.
I am new person with plusnet but hope i'll stay longer and enjoy plusnet's service unlike other provider
I moved recently from BT and noticed my profile is set to G.dmt now. This affects my poor broadband and I am struggling watching tv online and do not enjoy browsing or watching youtube etc.

With profile ADSL2 i could get up to 3.7 - 3.8Mbps download after syncing when in the meanwhile with G.dmt only 2.2 - 2.4
I can not express my sadness. Its like a being in stoneage even having 3.7Mbps.
In my 2nd home in East Europe I have 600Mbps download/upload though. Its like driving sports car all the time and one day you have only a pair of shoes to walk.
If someone could jump in and help me get back to ADSL2 - would be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
buffalo4x4
Hooked

Re: G.dmt stuck

My BT diagnostics test

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  2.12 Mbps

0 Mbps 4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.12 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.48 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.38 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

buffalo4x4
Hooked

Losing hope :( Advisors say my profile is ADSL2 But routers clearly show its not. Billion Bipac 7800N connects to exchange on ADSL1 (G.Dmt) mode. It has latest firmware. Whatever settings I change and try to connect in different mode - I have no luck Old BT HomeHub2 is also connects to exchange in G.992.A which is ADSL1 mode Old Netgear router DG834G and DG843GT also connects in ADSL1 mode only Not happy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There is no real difference between ADSL1 & ADSL2 - except that ADSL2 can make use of higher frequencies to give better bandwidth. A long line cannot use higher frequencies, so it "performs" as ADSL1.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@VileReynard

You're thinking of ADSL2+. ADSL2 has numerous minor improvements over ADSL1, it uses the same frequencies, ADSL2 and ADSL1 both going up to 1.1MHz.

buffalo4x4
Hooked

I dont know a lot about frequencies, noises and other things so can not comment why ADSL2+ is much better and how similar ADSL1 is to ADSL2.
But I know that being with BT and setting router in ADSL2 mode I had better speeds than I have now with ADSL1 which cannot be changed at the moment.

I had a chat on the phone with 1 of technical members today and looks like he made some changes which should come into action on the 7th Oct. The profile is set up to ADSL2+ now as I was imformed.

It is likely my previous BT account also was set as ADSL2+ but router was connecting in ADSL2 mode all the time where in some cases can better than ADSL2+

So fingers crossed now and I am expecting for a change on the 7th Oct

buffalo4x4
Hooked

Oh God!
Never ending problems...

I am on ADSL2+ but it seems IP profile is banded. 2272kbps download which is actual up to 2.0Mbps only. And there is nothing I can do.
I managed before switching to ADSL2+ to achieve 2.5Mbps download being with ADSL1. Wish I had that now and wish it wasnt switched at all. Being with BT for 5 years I had this problem twice - 2272kbps download speed. I am not sure if plusnet techs can reset IP profile as BT engineers did before?

looks like will have to make a phone call again.

buffalo4x4
Hooked

Sorted
It seems a phone call is the way to make things better in 10 minutes

Still not the speeds what I used to have but big step has been done for the improvement

Kudos to PN techs