Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G*d help me I just had to TRY to use Vits*

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

G*d help me I just had to TRY to use Vits*

I have an application that runs in dos (real dos not a terminal) and I needed to know the io port a piece of hardware used under M$, I *thought* it might be the same under Ubuntu but wanted to make sure.
So I resurrected a machine that has been off for nearly 2 years, it was a dual boot of Vist* 64 and Ubuntu 8.04 64.
I had to change the video card as I had canabalised it before to fix another machine, so I put in an old Nvidia 5200 (a reasonable card in it day), Ubuntu booted fine, then tried Vist*, BLOO** H**L what a shock to the system. SLOW to load, SLOW to show folders, and it didn't recognise the raid card (the one I wanted the IO info from) so I had to d/l a driver, then when it rebooted no VIDEO!! (it recognised that I had installed a NV 5200 card as it told me so, even told me it had installed the driver HA!)
So eventually I found the card that used to be in it, and rebooted again, this time video/blank screen OOPS!  WHY a blank screen for 10-20 seconds (monitor went to standby), then video again.
Finally installed the driver (another re-boot) and was able to get the info I wanted.....

What a PAIN IN THE A**. I am glad I left it for dead TWO YEARS AGO  If I was still using it and contemplating the new W7 the price would be enough to put me off, I can buy A COMPLETE PC for the price of an UPGRADE license (Over £150)  I found the "Vista Experience" a bit bland (performance on the goodness meter was 5.0) after running Compiz, NO control over what happens at all, you either get it or you don't, The side bar I tuned off after the first 5 minutes, and I don't feel that I have missed anything (other than the annoying prompts and no network issues) over the past 2 years.
Way to go LINUX!!
8 REPLIES 8
artificer
Grafter

Re: G*d help me I just had to TRY to use Vits*

did you get to run your dos program?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: biker955
So I resurrected a machine that has been off for nearly 2 years, it was a dual boot of Vist* 64 and Ubuntu 8.04 64.

I spot a slight inconsistency here.
Ubuntu 8.04 was released in April 2008
It is now June 2009.
Even if you loaded that Ubuntu and put the PC straight back in it's box without using it, that's quite a bit less than "nearly 2 years".  Crazy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

No I still haven't got the dos program running yet.
My mistake it was just over a year ago that I last used the Ubuntu side, 2 years since I booted the Vista side
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Have you tried DOSBox? Or is that a bit too virtual for your needs?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The software has to access the hardware directly so it is normally run form a dos boot (usb disk or floppy). I still haven't got it working, but it may be a faulty controller.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
Way to go LINUX!!

He he. Tell me about it. I am obliged to run Vista at work. It has to reboot every time something is installed or updated, is not as fast as you might expect from a quad core processor and I am continually frustrated when I want to change some simple thing and can't find it because it has all been moved around from XP, or I find I can't change it at all. There are ways around some of the annoyances, but some things are just plain daft. Windows Explorer is terrible - it is slow, they have removed the 'up' button, the focus is never where you want it for the scroll wheel to work, and there is lots of empty space in the window, yet the image previews are smaller than before.
Linux is much easier.  Cheesy
delaney54

tried freedos?
http://www.freedos.org/
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I have managed to get it working on another pc, clean free dos boot and it flashed fine.