cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny thing this...

petecov44
Grafter

Funny thing this...

Plug my iPad into a PC while updating and it kicks off because I need to plug it into the mains. But do the same on a Mac and it just sits there and gets on with it.
Is this deliberate or is the mac putting more power out the USB ports?
11 REPLIES 11
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Funny thing this...

Quote from: petecov44

Is this deliberate or is the mac putting more power out the USB ports?

That's a possibility.  Have you tried plugging it into a USB3 socket (as the specification includes higher power availability)?  I don't have any iLoveApple gadgets to test that suggestion.
petecov44
Grafter

i put in on my PC and it charges as it does on the Mac so both USB 3.0 but I will have to wait for another update to see if that's the case on PC
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I'm slightly confused by your reply ...  Undecided
RPMozley
Pro

What is it that's updating?
That's RPM to you!!
petecov44
Grafter

If I put my Ipad on my PC's usb 3 ports when I have an iOS update it won't update unless I plug it into the mains. But when I plug it into the Mac's USB 3 port to do the same update it happily let me go ahead using the Mac's power
I couldn't be more clearer.
petecov44
Grafter

actually I think that's why. It's charged my iPhone faster than it's ever charged before
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Clear as mud  Undecided
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Ain't an apple expert (not a fan of them, ever since a Mac Perfoma decided deleting my GCSE coursework was a brilliant idea), but I believe that a Mac USB port puts out more amps than a PC USB port, as a PC port is limited to 500mA, even my Samsung Galaxy Tab refuses to charge from a PC USB port, but is happy running off it's dedicated 2 Amp charger... Smiley
Just a guess mind, not used any recent apple hardware so couldn't be sure... Smiley
petecov44
Grafter

I would tend to agree with you based on the fact right now my Mac is sleeping yet it's still charging my Iphone quite happily.
It charged faster actually tonight that it ever did on the Mains.
RPMozley
Pro

It could be a difference in power output but another possibility is that on PC the iDevice has to be recognised first (by windows) before any power is activated on the port. Because of its OTA updating state it's unlikely to be recognised by the PC whereas on the Mac it uses a completely different system & has connection compatibility built in, thus is more likely to be seen and power provided.
That's RPM to you!!
petecov44
Grafter

When sleeping the Mac fans kick i and it opens itunes also - as I found out this morning