cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuji replacement lcd screens

seanbranagh
Grafter

Fuji replacement lcd screens

I bought a Fuji S5800 on Friday for £99. Although it does sometimes take grainy pictures I am generally very happy with it for the price. I printed a couple of landscape shots I had taken on Saturday on my Epson Stylus Photo R220 and was very impressed for £99.
Problem is that I went to lift it this morning and it slipped out of my hand and now the screen is completely destroyed. I went and spoke to the guy at PC World where I had bought it and although I did buy the extended warrenty it does not cover accidental damage. He was a nice guy but his hands were tied and could not do anything.
I have been trying to find UK suppliers of replacement sreeens. All I can find is an American supplier on eBay and it works out at £45 delivered. Does anyone know of anywhere I can look for cheaper pricing as this including the screwdrivers would be half the price of the camera.
21 REPLIES 21
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Fuji replacement lcd screens

I had a Video from Dixons, same group, that did cover accidental damage, in my case run over it with the car.  absolutely no hassel, that was in \June this year, check the wording on the warranty, dont just believe the counter hand
Denzil
Grafter

You could check if your household contents insurance covers it, although the excess may be more than buying a new part.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I did check it on the warrenty first and it is not covered. As for the house insurance that would be more effort than it would be worth.
geewizz
Grafter

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. Can I ask how much you paid for the extended warranty on a £99 item?
seanbranagh
Grafter

£14.99
geewizz
Grafter

I wonder if you can get your £15 back now. I mean, you purchased the extended warranty for an item which no longer needs a warranty because it is broken. If you get it repaired then the warranty is still useless because it is no longer under factory warranty and the extended warranty is an extension of that.
I would take the camera and the warranty docs back in to the store and explain that you want the money for the warranty refunded. Don't ask for it, make your case with confidence and subtley give the impression that you are not leaving without the refund. Fifteen minutes of badgering should do the trick.
seanbranagh
Grafter

You are right. Just checked the paperwork. I can cancel and receive a full refund within 45 days so I will be doing that tomorow. It actually cost me £19.99 but the guy gave me £5 of the camera so the whole lot was £114.98. It will be £19.99 I get back.
seanbranagh
Grafter

The camera still works perfectly as there is a small screen in the viewfinder which displays all that the big scren did. I should be able to get rid of it to a friend for around £40-£50, get my £20 back from the warranty and just buy a new one. That way I will not have lost much. This time I would not buy the useless warranty and would (fingers crossed) not drop it!
geewizz
Grafter

Hope that all works out for you and you have more luck with the next one. Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

It is a bit ironic that I have had my trusty Canon Powershot A40 since 2002 and there is not a scratch on it! Fantastic camera at the time although my mobile phone takes higher resolution pictures now and the screen on the Canon is really small!
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Fuji actually sell warranties thru website which actually cover accidental damage (at least the first time) - used it when my daughter dropped her S5600 and smashed the screen-think it was about £50 for 4 years extra cover (inc accident cover from purchase date).
geewizz
Grafter

£50 for 4 years? Sean only needs four days, which works out at about 15p.
Result.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I have canceled the stupid PC World extended warranty and am waiting on the cheque for £19.99.
I have now bought the 2 year Fuji super warranty from their website for £29.95 and will be claiming of this as it DOES cover accidental damage including cracked screen. Although it involves sending the camera away it is the cheapest option.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Nice one Sean,  Hope you will be pleased when it comes back all spick and span.....  Smiley