Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fubared CPU?

God
Grafter

Fubared CPU?

Hi Folks
I have inherited a Gigabyte motherboard fitted with an intel Quad Core CPU. Having stuffed it in a box and attempted to install windows I keep getting a BSD after all the windows files have been copied accross. I have tried re-seating the CPU but the problem persists.
The BSD states there is a problem with the cryptographic subsystem, whatever that means!
Pic of BSD attached.
Anyone know what this means and if the CPU is on the way out?
Cheers
24 REPLIES 24
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Fubared CPU?

You don't say which motherboard you have but have you tried load fail safe defaults in the bios and also checking the memory settings against what they should be.
God
Grafter

Hi Jim Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R. Good point about the ram, I have dissassembled it all now so will have to check again tomorrow, although in the past when I have had wrong ram settings with similar boards the BSD has been completely different I have never seen this one before.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The earlier versions of that board didn't support a quad core out of the box.
Has the bios been updated - remember Gigabyte have dual bios so going back in case of failure is relatively painless
God
Grafter

Ji Jim
It has the bios update to support quad core.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You aren't trying to install Vista are you Shocked
God
Grafter

Damn Right! 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You have just run foul of one of Vista's new security systems and I have no idea how to fix it.
As a first go I would try going down to one stick of good ram and a different graphics card.
God
Grafter

Hmmm.. Actually I suspected that it might be to do with part of the vista DRM stangulation. The ram has been thoroughly tested but as you mentioned earlier I might need to try some different settings. The video card I used is the only suitable one I have, out of this (my main box) but it should be fine as this runs vista.
I am wondering if the 'check' also looks at the processor I just have a feeling this is where the problem might be. I believe the previous owner had the CPU in and out a few times and wonder if it is damaged.
Cheers
artificer
Grafter

to test that all the kit is working as it should, you could download a livecd, like 'system rescue', or the 'ultimate boot cd'.  when the hardware checks out, you can then turn your attention to vista.
God
Grafter

I'll set it all up again and run UBCD and see if it finds any faults.
Cheers
God
Grafter

I have run some more tests and here are the strange results!
Fitted the board and CPU with a PSU, memory, HD, CD, Video Card and Keyboard.
Booted to Bios and loaded safe settings.
Attempted Vista install, failed with same blue screen as my original post.
Booted with UBCD and ran all the CPU and Memory tests, all results good, no errors.
Attempted XP install, perfect install.
So it seems the setup is fine as long as you aren’t trying to run Vista! The very weird thing is that I know this board and CPU has been used as a vista box.
It’s a bit of a pain as I want to sell the board and CPU but don’t really feel I can add the proviso, oh and you can’t run Vista on it.
Cheers
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It might be that the bios is corrupted.
Have you tried reflashing the bios and/or using the clr_cmos jumper to clear the cmos values (instructions in the manual).
God
Grafter

Hi Jim
I am re-flashing it now with V11 just in case it is corrupted, there is also a v12beta that I will try as well if V11 doesnt work. I'll let you know what happens!
God
Grafter

Re-flashed with the latest official and beta bios and still the same problem with the vista install. Pah! Now I am beginning to get really p'd off!  Cry