Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustration

plantsman
Grafter

Frustration

Can anyone help me sort out  this annoying problem please -
Suddenly I'm finding that most of my internet activity pages load minimised - ok, I can easily expand them at the top, but this was never necessary as almost all opened maximised.
All I have done recently is to reinstal  my XP Pro O/s, download Microsoft upgrades and to upgrade IE from v6.... to V7
It seems the only windows I have control of to maximise are my desktop icon links, which of course are off line.
Peter.
18 REPLIES 18
samuria
Grafter

Re: Frustration

Try this: Go to My Computer.
Go to the Tools menu, and choose Folder Options... . Go to the View tab, and look
under the Advanced Settings to where it says "Remember each folder's view settings."
If it's unchecked, check it.
Try this also:
Start IE, right click any link on a web page, and select Open in a New Window.
Go back to the first IE window you opened and close it.
Return to the second window and manually drag it to fill the screen.
(Do not use the maximize button, for that's a temporary setting that will not be retained.)
Now press the Ctrl button, and close this second window, holding the Ctrl button depressed, using 'close' in the "File menu" (important!).
This should force Windows to remember the settings, and windows will now open maximized.
If the above doesn't work try this way, its just a little different from above:
First right click the IE icon next to the Start Button, choose Properties, and change it from 'normal' to 'maximized'. Open IE.
Now right-click any link on that page and choose Open In New Window. Use your mouse to drag the edges or corners of this new window to the size you want, but DON'T use the Maximize button.
Now go to the first window you opened and close it (don't forget this step, or the tip won't work). Now close the NEW window you just resized. From now on, when you open a new window, it should open to this size--personalized just the way you like it.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried FireFox?  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

plantsman
Grafter

Thank you samuria.  Success.  I'm  most grateful that you share  your knowledge
Start IE, right click any link on a web page, and select Open in a New Window.
Go back to the first IE window you opened and close it.
Return to the second window and manually drag it to fill the screen.
(Do not use the maximize button, for that's a temporary setting that will not be retained.)
Now press the Ctrl button, and close this second window, holding the Ctrl button depressed, using 'close' in the "File menu" (important!).
This should force Windows to remember the settings, and windows will now open maximized.

http://www.raffia.plus.com
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Nice site, but where are the link backs for the novice who doesnt know what the green arrow is on the browser tool bar?
plantsman
Grafter

pierre_pierre
Thank you for your remarks on my website. You are right about the absence of 'back to home page' links. A bad error on my part springing from when I used the site as single topic pages and posted individual http's. 
It does astound me that anyone can fail to investigate the IE navigation bar 'return to index' arrow that you mention; but then, I only have experience of IE for a browser.
I will get to work on the correction as soon as possible. Smiley
Not applicable

Green Arrows are for 'Refresh' in IE7 - its blue arrows for back and forwards!
The difficulties frustrations in creating computer guides.
The only truly universal 'back' button is the backspace key on your keyboard.

Traditionally most sites have a logo at the top left which is traditionally linked back to the homepage/index too. Might be a worthwhile consideration?
plantsman
Grafter

Hi James_H
Work is in progress and I have opted for a simple 'Home Page' text link at the top of the pages. Never thought of a pic logo. I appreciate any costructive comment on web page layout.
Just being a home/personal website I like to keep it simple and have no interest in the bells and whistles of the modern commercial sites. I use Macromedia Dreamweaver v4.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I see no arrows (of any colour) - and no "home" text links.
Otherwise it looks very professional.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

With your permission plantsman I will bookmark the site as I have to do some serious gardening this year for the first time Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plantsman
Grafter

You are welcome to do that Strat. It always makes the work of constructing web pages worthwhile if  they are of benefit to others.
As you will see in Gardennotes my aim has been to help the beginning gardener on just a few basic principle and practices. If my efforts also help the more experienced so much the better. Sorry it is not an interactive site. I did have a gardening board but the WWW is saturated with gardening advice and I had very few members over a long period.
plantsman
Grafter

Samuria - your advice has indeed been timely - I've just set up a new monitor (viewsonic) and being a larger screen and  choosing a higher resolution ..... yes, many windows opened minimized Smiley Thanks again.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Plantsman,
I too have bookmarked your site. I am waiting to hear if my application for an allotment has been successful, although from other sources it appears there may be a (long) waiting list.
My small plot at home is overshadowed by a large ash tree and a 20ft tall leylandii hedge. Any advice on vegetables that grow in the shade? Or how to kill leylandii?
Well done, I look forward to future updates to your website.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
HPsauce
Pro

Aren't there some new rules regarding Leylandii and the like being a nuisance?
Or are they yours....
maranello
Pro

Definitely not mine, if they were I would be inviting Mr Chainsaw over for a party!
There has been recent (2003) legislation, but some variability in how it is interpreted and enforced (or not, as the case may be). This is however definitely off-topic (apart from the personal frustration is causes), and I really don't want to rant on about it here.
* maranello stomps off to find a suitable forum to rant on *
My other car isn't a Ferrari