cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeing up disk space in vista

jimbo99
Dabbler

Freeing up disk space in vista

Running windows vista and have 85gb hdd with only 2.76gb of programs running but only have 72mb of space left.Done a disk clean up, spyware scan, virus scan, deleted all old restore points but no joy. It is on a laptop, and all programs are running well. Can anyone help please? Have also just run treesize and it says i have 39,383mb of disk space used up in a file called EraseD4D.tmp what is this and how do i free this space up, and is it safe to do so. Have explored this folder and it says that is empty does this number(39,383mb) mean 39gb?
10 REPLIES 10
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Freeing up disk space in vista

39,383Mb is 38.5Gb (39,383/1024) and is enormous for a single file! I would guess it is a log file created by some application that just keeps adding more and more to it. It is almost certainly safe to delete it, but you can always set a restore point before doing so.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Who knows?
But anyone who adds a .tmp suffix to a file deserves to get it deleted - especially if it's also called Erase  Grin
And yes, 39,000M = 39G
It might be a hidden file.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jimbo99
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies. How do i get rid of hidden files? will just deleting the folder be enough or will i have to do anything else as i have about 10 folders with erase.tmp 39gb was the biggest but have a 2 with 11gb in them  Huh
VileReynard
Hero

Deleting folders (and emptying the recycle bin) will do it - but you have to ask yourself where did all these erase.tmp files come from?
If you can find a small one, try attempting to open it with a text editor to see if that might tell you what's in these files.

jimbo99
Dabbler

Thanks for your help axisofevil and Denzil have deleted the folders and have gained 30gb of disk space. Will try and find out what and where the folders came from. Thanks once again
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 64

Get yourself a copy of CCleaner (formerly known as Crap Cleaner).... It will find anything useless files and you can clean all your cookies, and .tmp .gid files and a host of things that you get from surfing the web..... Wink  You can also use it to clean out your registry of left overs from old programs you have deleted, etc.,
Use it at least once a week, and keep your machine free of all  the rubbish.....  Grin Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Shocked  Thanks for the censorship.. Shocked  That was the official name for the program Grin Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero

I only know of one word that might be censored that begins with a "C" - was it really called C*** Cleaner?  Roll_eyes

shutter
Community Veteran

That is the word  Shocked  Roll_eyes  ..... and I ain`t kidding  Grin Shocked
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: jimbo99
Thanks for your help axisofevil and Denzil have deleted the folders and have gained 30gb of disk space. Will try and find out what and where the folders came from. Thanks once again

Whatever you do don't try and open a multi-Gb file. Just keep a regular eye out for any similar new files appearing and open them when they are small. Like axisofevil says, you may find a clue as to what is creating them.
Ccleaner will help get rid of them, but if you can identify the source you may be able to find a setting in the application to turn off logging or somesuch.