Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free web design software

hulls
Grafter

Free web design software

Hi
I've used Frontpage for ages, but was thinking of trying something else. Can anyone recommend a package? Preferably free.  Smiley
John
16 REPLIES 16
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Free web design software

There`s a lot of free software on google search.... however, you may find, as I did, that most of it can only be uploaded using the "host" that they provide.....
Edit.....
#
I used this
http://kompozer.net/
to sort out my HTML links and layout for my website.... the bulk of  which is made up using Jalbum photoalbums.
Another Edit
#
Just found this video tut.... and more listed on the side.....which may help you....

pjemmanuel
Grafter

Go to http://www.serif.com/FreeDownloads/ and have a look at WebPlus starter edition, it's a free download.
Not applicable

Speaking as someone who is very new to all this web stuff, I first of all came to Kompozer (it is now Compozer in Windows) through Ubuntu.  Now I am using Serif WebPlus SE because my class tutor uses this.  As has been said, the former is fine for very basic stuff but WebPlus is (to me) really nice to work with.  Not overly complicated but has just the functionality (at the moment) that I need.
I suppose it is down to your experience and requirements.  Oddly enough, I just removed Compozer from the computer last night as I no longer need it.
As you are a Linux user, I think that there is something called Bluefish although I didn't try it.  There are some more IIRC.
If you have a Windows installation I would definitely recommend WebPlus SE.
hulls
Grafter

Thanks all - I'll have a look.  Smiley
Not applicable

Would love to know how you get on with WebPlus SE if you have the time.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have downloaded WebPlus SE last night but I haven't yet discovered how to use it to edit my existing simple site...maybe it can't.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
hulls
Grafter

Hi
I also downloaded Webplus, but I can't see how I can use it to edit my current web site. I'd have to start from scratch, and I don't really have the time at the moment. Komposer seems to be a single page designer, and again I can't seem to be able get inro my current web site to edit it (except for a page at a time.
I suppose I need a few spare hours to sit down and have a play, but that isn't going to happen for a week or so.  Undecided
John
shutter
Community Veteran

Strat & Hulls.....
You may want to have a look at the "source code" on my website, for ideas on how to do multiple pages...
I started off using MS Publisher 98, then when OldJim pointed out that all the pages were, in fact "pictures" and would not be "seen" by google and other search engines. I used the HTML from the PUB 98 into Komposer, and played around to make it work on my "pages" , which in fact are seperate "albums" provided by Jalbum software....
Initially I made up the "albums" with Jalbum, and then "cobbled the HTML together", so that links to the seperate pages worked....
To the experts, I know it is not the most "elegant" or "efficient" way of producing a website... but it works for me... !  Cheesy
Not applicable

Strat and Hulls - posted on the WebPlus forum using Front Page as an example - see here.  Seems it can't be done in free versions and even in paid-for it would need some tinkering.
shutter
Community Veteran

Just found this.... which is a WYSIWYG .......F R E E>..... HTML EDITOR...
http://www.pagebreeze.com/
Strat
Community Veteran

Well I tried a copy and paste from a page on my old site to a new page created in WebPlus and after a few tweaks it is acceptable.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran

What is your Website, Strat?  give us the URL.... let`s have a look . Huh
Not applicable

Well done Strat - what was the programme that created the original site?  Sounds as if it was a reasonably painless procedure.  And yes, do let us know the url so we can have a neb. I hope that you like WebPlus.  I made a horizontal nav bar last week but wanting to do a vertical one so have just been following Phil_E's .pdf  link and have managed to make a stylish gel one so it just goes to show what can be done with a free programme.  Trouble is, I'm now brain dead after all the exertion so am definitely ready for .
Strat
Community Veteran

Adobe Contribute is what I originally built the site with.....
Come to think of it 'built' make it sound grander than it is as currently only two pages are accessible with the rest hidden and under reconstruction.
@Shutter....not just now as there's not much to see. Smiley