cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free router info. please! Confused!

JonG

Free router info. please! Confused!

Hi
I'm planning to switch to plusnet but need to know more about the free wireless router.
I find it bizaar that there is no make, model number or real spec. at all on the home site!!!
OK So I need to decide whether to take the free 1 port wireless router or pay for the 4 port wireless router!
Basically I'm confused as to how many PC's I can run on each.
I assume I only have one ethernet port - No problem that can run to my existing cabled network with its switches and routers.
But how many wireless PC's can I connect? or does the 1 port/ 4 port refer to the ethernets sockets?
If you have a make and Mod. number so much the better as can do my own digging then.
Thanks Jon
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Free router info. please! Confused!

The number of ports specified refers to wired (Ethernet) connections. There is no concept of ports with wireless so you can connect as many wireless PCs as you like subject to the sharing of the wireless bandwidth.
The one port wireless router is the BT Voyager 2091 which actually has 1 Ethernet and 1 USB port so you can connect 2 PCs, although I would not recommend using USB.
The 4 port wireless router is the BT Voyager 2110 or the BT 1800HG depending on what is available.
Both 1 port and 4 port routers support the connection of up to 254 wired PCs and to extend the number of physical ports just use a switch or hub.
James
Grafter

Hi Jon,
It's a BT Voyager 2091.
There is one ethernet port.  I don't believe that there are any restrictions as to how many computers can connect wirelessly.
http://www.voyager.bt.com/wireless_devices/voyager_2091/product_info.htm
Hope this helps.
JonG

Thanks
That's a great help.
Jon Grin
clockley
Grafter

On our wireless routers, you can connect up to 10 computers wirelessly.
I hope that this helps.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

you can connect up to 10 computers wirelessly.

It's actually possible to connect approx 250 but it's not recommended Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puddy
Grafter

why not buy your own/plusnet sell or use to sell speedtouch routers.  That way your not tied in to a contract.
If you fancy making free voip calls the speedtouch 716wlv5 or a newer speedtouch 780 has  4 ports is wireless and adsl 2+capable is a great buy
Plusnet have a trial on with gradwell that allow you to choose any std code in the UK and depending what account you have you could get free voip telephone calls with these routers i get 240 free minutes of free phone calls via my router free every month.
use it don't lose it
puddy
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
you can connect up to 10 computers wirelessly.

It's actually possible to connect approx 250 but it's not recommended Wink

254 if not using the 4 ethernet ports Wink
The speedtouch models are probably the best standard devices out there and I read their chipset is less likely to be affected by various manufacturers equipment chipsets at the local exchange.