cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free open software for mac advice help

tgr
Grafter

Free open software for mac advice help

I have just bpught a new mac but there does not seem to be any free open soft ware for it such as open office, AVG, Zone alarm.  Does any one know of such stuff
Thanks in advance
Gordon
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Free open software for mac advice help

See http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs.html for Open Office.
Doesn't a Mac come with it's own firewall?
Does a Mac need any antiVirus software?
I thought it's based around a *nix style OS?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

janitor
Grafter

Yes the mac comes with its own firewall built into os tiger or leopard, and have clamxav, for virus protection but very rarely run it. Might find some useful stuff here http://www.opensourcemac.org/
Be3G
Grafter

Anti-virus software for a Mac is a waste of time, and Leopard comes with a good software firewall, although I never use it as the firewall and NAT in my router is more than enough, which may be the case for you too.
Regarding Office software, I have a copy of NeoOffice hanging around on my Mac, which is a kind of spin-off of OpenOffice. You also might want to look in to iWork - it's not free, but it is considerably cheaper (and more enjoyable to use IMHO) than Microsoft Office.
tgr
Grafter

Thank you everyone you have set my mind at rest.  am completely new to mac and had heard it was more secure than windows which you all appear to confirm.  I also have a router wich i believe has a firewall a well and i have changed to the password on that so that should also stop people sittting outside surfing will also follow up some of your other suggestions
many thanks
Gordon
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: tgr
...l and i have changed to the password on that so that should also stop people sittting outside surfing will also follow up some of your other suggestions...

Sounds like you have a wireless network?
Whilst changing the admin password is good, it won't stop unknown people from using your network - that is, unless you have also enabled wireless encryption. Keywords are WEP & WPA (WPA is better).

Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, or even WPA2 which the Mac OS does support (although it doesn't always make it obvious that it does). MAC address filtering is also a very effective way to stop newcomers accessing your network, although it also means that if, say, a friend comes round with his laptop, he won't be able to access the internet without you fiddling with the router configuration first.
tgr
Grafter

I only have the mac on the router and i doubt that i will have any other computers linked up but if I do I will bear in mind what you say I shall then get back to you fellows to find out how to encrypt it and what WPA2 and that means.
VileReynard
Hero

If you have a wireless (as opposed to a wired) connection between the mac and the router, then you really need some form of encryption - otherwise strangers can use your connection using standard software. They don't need to "crack" any systems!
However, if your router has no wireless capability, then you can ignore the above.