cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free-online emails on Thunderbird

hulls
Grafter

Free-online emails on Thunderbird

I've just started playing with Thunderbird.  Installed it and tried to set up accounts.  Now my wife uses sue@username.free-online.co.uk, and I use john@usename.free-online.co.uk etc, but of course they all have the same username and password to log in, including the domain that plusnet hosts for me.  Thunderbird won't let me set up an account for each, and therefore I can't send emails in individuals' names.
Am I making sense  Huh
John
9 REPLIES 9
samuria
Grafter

Re: Free-online emails on Thunderbird

Yes it will create an account for each mail box. How do you normally get your mail? When you login you should both have separate login details or you would get all the mail.
There is 2 possibilities. You both logon on to the default mail box and get all the mail in which case you need separate mail boxes setting up.
The second is you have to mail box accounts but not separating them in thunderbird.
On plusnet you login to the mail with the main usermane like hulls and then to the mail box with the mail box name so to get johns it would be hulls+johns. and to get sues it would be hulls+sue this is what you need to put into thunderbird.
hulls
Grafter

In the past, I've used the default mailbox for everything (including the emails to the various domain addresses  such as  info@chelmsfordsongsters.org.uk and so on), then used rules in Outlook to distribute the emails to the relevant folders.  But I also set up accounts in Outlook, so that my wife could send emails from her own address.  It was really the sending that mattered.  I noticed that the addresses I use are all listed as aliases on the portal.
So is the answer to set a mailbox for each one?  and can I set a generic one for anything addressed to the chelmsfordsongsters.org.uk domain?
John 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have on my free-online.  Any domain on PN is treated as one - I have three.
My wife - also called Sue has one box, I have several others,  My machine is set to look at the others, her machine reads hers and also the default box.  I use thunderbird IMAP mode to look at her rubbish before she downloads it with OE.  - I can send and recieve on her machine to the dafault and hers.  Got her trained so that I clear the dafault before she downloads.
If you dont want to go to that extreme, just set up one to read yours and the other to read hers
hulls
Grafter

Thanks Pierre
We use the same computer, and my wife just goes in and looks at her folder, if there is anything in there (at least when I tell her there is)  Part of the reason I'm looking at this, is because I've just ordered Office 2007 Home and Student edition from Amazon (£47 ish for 3 licences I've 2 sons at home, both with PCs so the licences will be used.) and I understand that Outlook doesn't work with it, so I'm going to have to retrain myself in some other software, and then get Sue to change as well!
I expect it would be quite easy to set up a separate mailbox for my wife, mainly so that she can send her own emails, instead of all of them being from my address, but I'd also like to be able to send from the domain address.  So I expect I'd need to set up at least one mailbox for the domain.  Can that be done?
John
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you set the mail boxes up in the Manage my Mail on the member centre, you can have any number - apparently no limit, then set the mail reader to look at the mail boxes.  Dont know if you can have two configs on Thunderbird, but possibly so if you each log on with a user name to the machine.  I dont bother with that as I have two machines
hulls
Grafter

At the moment we both use the same machine, and don't have a different log-in.  We don't have anything to hide  Wink
John
hadden
Grafter

One Thunderbird solution is to setup multiple identities against the single email account. This should allow you a solution similar to what you did with Outlook and it's "rules".
Leave the default Name and email address for one of you (probably whoever writes the most emails) and add a second identity with the name and email address for the other person. In Account Settings, click "Manage Identities...".
Incoming emails will arrive in your Inbox for both of you, as they do just now, but if you reply to them the From field is automatically passed the correct name and email address from the Identity record.
To send an email, the main user just uses the default settings but the other person should switch to their identity. This can be done from the drop down list at the top of the Write message screen.
Similar to the Outlook Rules, you could setup message filters to move the various messages to different folders , change the messages to different colours or use message tags.

If that's not suitable and your still looking for a Thunderbird solution, let me know what part of the above you don't like, as there are other possibilities.
hulls
Grafter

Sounds like what I want.  I'll give that a go, when I get a chance.  It's a busy weekend.  The Office 2007 arrived today as well (huge box, with one disc inside! ) Don't these people know there are laws about excess packaging  Shocked
John
hulls
Grafter

Thanks JohnJ.  That seems to work.  (Only time will tell) And actually pretty easy to set up, once you pointed me in the right direction.  Smiley
John