Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free encryption software

samuria
Grafter

Free encryption software

Just been trying TruCrypt from
http://www.truecrypt.org/
Its open source so its free which is a good start. Its a great product you create a file and call it what you want like picture.raw, mypic.jpg  or one with no extension so it looks like a directory. You  then mount the drive with your password and it appears as a drive copy you files to it and use it as a normal drive. Unmount it and its back to just any old file on your pc that no one would ever know was an encrypted directory.
Now there is a clever bit to it you can then create a hidden drive within the encrypted drive which cant be seen. You have two passwords one for the first drive and one for the second one when you mount it you give it one of the passwords and it mount the drive whose password you have given but you cant see the other drive in any shape or form. This is so if you were forced to give your password at say USA airport you could give them one and they wouldnt know there was anything else there.
It goes further and lets you do the whole hard drive and even hide an O/S with in it so you have the hidden O/S no one can see. It even lets you have a custom message so you can boot up and instead of asking for a password before the O/S will load it can say missing O/S so it appears that the pc is trashed.
Well worth a look at if you want to keep stuff safe or share a pc with family and dont want the kids seeing daddies bank account details.
They claim with the encryption it would take a 1,000 years to crack it runs on Linux Windows and Mac
8 REPLIES 8
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: Free encryption software

sounds scary for people who don't want the police or others to find dodgy files.
podman
samuria
Grafter

Its better than having your local burglar have all your bank details when he steals your pc or laptop.
Anyone would be hard pressed to find a random file hidden in thousands of other as there is no evidence it is an encrypted file
community
Grafter

Just had a quick look at the website.
I note that they have a lively Forum, and there are a lot of threads which address Problems with Truescript, so I think I will  say "I'm Out"!
cheers
Not applicable

Had a go with Steganos Safe One a while ago (which sounds similar) and found it easy to use. It's a free download and creates another drive which is hidden when locked. I stopped using it because I was frightened of forgetting the password - I had a bad enough time just now remembering the name of the application - had to search for it so I think I made the right decision!
I know it's not as secure but I do password protect certain Excel and Word documents and have managed to remember the password - I also have it  written down and hidden somewhere, although not sure where!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You might need http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html (for example)
Not tried it, but it's free.
Have you ever forgotten your Excel workbook or sheet password?
Here you can download a FREE Excel add-in that removes/cracks sheet and workbook password protection in Excel®.

Of course, anyone else can easily remove your passwords for you...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Not forgotten an Excel password but I have one or two Word documents that I can't open because I forgot the password. I am hoping that one day I will remember them!  Huh
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The demo version of http://www.lostpassword.com/word.htm allegedly reveals the first two characters of the password... Smiley
But seriously, Microsoft passwording in Office is pathetically weak and is simply an irritation.
If you want to encrypt, just encrypt the file, using a proper file encryption mechanism.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Yes, I had read that the MS password thingy was weak and could be cracked. The free software might work because if I had the first two letters I might be able to guess the rest - could give it a try.