cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free broadband?

worcsdave
Grafter

Free broadband?

I've just been looking at the TalkTalk website with their offer of free broadband.  Is this the way ALL ISP's will be moving? can we expect free broadband/phone packages from PlusNet any time soon?  And what is TalkTalk's reputation for service like?
6 REPLIES 6
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Free broadband?

Quote from: worcsdave
I've just been looking at the TalkTalk website with their offer of free broadband.  Is this the way ALL ISP's will be moving?

No - ISP's actually have to be able to sustain their business.
can we expect free broadband/phone packages from PlusNet any time soon? 

No - I would say definately not.  Plusnet offer services that are tailored to your use, not a "one size fits no-one-so-we-give-you-a-shoddy-service" service.
And what is TalkTalk's reputation for service like?

Hahahahahahahaha.... AAaaahahahahahahahahaa
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaa

Seriously.  I think their Customer Service got one of the worst ratings in the recent uSwitch poll.  A case of penny wise, pound foolish.
Barry
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

[quote=worcsdave]Is this the way ALL ISP's will be moving?
Of course not - Broadband is still subject to cost, from the BT Wholesale port costs, Bandwidth, Staff, Building, Rent, etc. in order to support a service.
Only reason some companies are offering what they refer to 'free' broadband is your subsiding it by taking out other services from them, subject to a minimum contract. Not really looked but I am sure it's more than 12 months.
No more the case you get a 'free' phone when taking out a contract.
I also remember the problems PlusNet were having with TalkTalk ceasing lines when they shouldn't. Link from the old forums.
Given they cold called me at 9:30am on a Saturday morning, waking me up despite being on the TPS - it's enough of a reason for me to stay clear Grin
Not applicable

TalkTalk is certainly a very good deal if everything goes according to plan.  However, as quoted above, if you run into problems then expect a rough ride.  Having had personal experience of the company, it can be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!  It is an 18 month contract and although I tried to get onto the service last year they couldn't connect me as I was supposed to have a tag on my line (I had never had broadband at that point and BT confirmed that the line was clear).  They failed to keep me informed of progress and some 2 to 3 months later they still couldn't sort it out and couldn't give me a time frame so I gave up and cancelled.  Despite this, they sent threatening letters for a small sum of money that I didn't owe.  It took many telephone calls and a recorded letter to finally receive an apology. About 4 to 6 months after this episode I received a modem through the post so it was obvious that my name was still in the system somewhere.  Despite all this, my friend, who signed up on the same day as me, got connected and the only problem that we had was down to the Smart AX modem and faulty software so she wound up having someone out to fit a Netgear router which has turned out to be OK anyway because she now has a laptop and is using this wirelessly.
Another thing to bear in mind is that the customer service is often outsourced to another country and although the operators are always very pleasant and courteous it is not always easy to understand due to the time delay on the telephone and different accents.
I have a similar package i.e. BB/telephone for which I pay £3 - £4 per month more but where I have restrictions on both, she doesn't.  However,  it's a small sum and I reckon it's worth it for the customer service and peace of mind.
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
[quote=worcsdave]Is this the way ALL ISP's will be moving?

I also remember the problems PlusNet were having with TalkTalk ceasing lines when they shouldn't. [
It works the other way round too!  I was with TT until BT decided that they would slam the line back and tie me into a 12 month contract with them (I'm still in dispute with them 4 weeks later).  TT got everything sorted out on their side (waived the £70 cessation charge) but it was going to take six weeks to reconnect so I was kind of stuck as we need broadband (my wife works from home and VPNs into the office). PlusNet managed to get me online in 24hours!!!!
[rant]However, BT's customer services have to be the worst I've ever come accross (and that's after being with TT).  I've spent more time on hold than I care to think about (minimum of about 1hour before someone answers, longest was three hours being transferred from dept. to dept.) and they still (after a month) haven't sorted things out.  They also seem to be incapable of getting caller display onto my line - one month and about ten calls to both the sales and faults departments later and still no joy!![/rant]
I had no issues with TT - everything worked and customer service, although not perfect, wasn't too bad (at least they answered the phone!) - but then I didn't have any technical problems that needed fixing.
It has to be said though that PlusNet's CS is amongst the best I've dealt with - shame I've to deal with BT until I get things sorted. Once they are though, I'll be ditching their phone and moving that to PlusNet too.
chillypenguin
Grafter

You pay peanuts you get Monkeys.
At least PlusNet have never made it on to Watchdog.
Chilly
worcsdave
Grafter

OK guys - point taken - thanks for bringing me back into the real world. Smiley