cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free anti virus

valart
Grafter

Free anti virus

I bought a new Windows 7 PC 15months ago it came with Mcfee security center I am now getting lots of emails telling me to renew this product before it runs out,I wonder if anyone could advise me on the new free AG anti virus program are these free anti virus products any good or should I renew McAfee for another year.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Free anti virus

If you are on Extra you can have McAfee free from Plusnet although I wouldn't recommend it myself.
My first choice would be Avira http://www.avira.com/en/for-home although Microsoft Security Essentials is improving fast
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have used AVG FREE since version 4, many many years ago!.... and have never had a virus attack.... Currently I am using AVAST FREE... which seems to be "lighter" in computer usage, but seems to be just as effective, and updates itself automatically, (sometimes twice or three times in a day)...
McAfee is one of the "old school" products, It is "shipped" with new computers to get people who are not "savvy enough" to search for alternatives, to pay for something you can get for free... !
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I recommend looking at the results here http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews for detection and speed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

The problem with some anti-virus programs is the amount of loading they impose on the computer.  In some cases this can cause the computer to run much more slowly although, hopefully, on a computer that is only 15 months old any decrease in speed would not be too noticeable.  I would not recommend McAfee because I have seen a number of instances where a computer has contracted a virus despite running McAfee.  AVG is okay on a newer computer although you will be beset by adverts for their "Professional" version and they try to trick you into purchasing it each time a new version is released.  I haven't tried Avast or Avira.  I like Microsoft Security Essentials for its light touch but it has become so popular that some recent viruses have started to take measures to target it and try to render it inactive.  Of the paid-for programs my favourite is Kaspersky. 
jazz
Grafter

There are free programs that  can do what McAfee does perfectly well, or even better.  Save yourself some money.
If you do stop using McAfee then make sure you not only remove the program from your computer (using "Add or Remove Programs" facility) but also then visit the McAfee site and download the McAfee Removal Tool which is the only way to get rid of the last bits of it which might interfere with any future antivirus product you use  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Probably not applicable in this case but if you stop using McAfee also make sure they don't use your original bank/credit card details to automatically deduct another year's subscription when it expires.  That happened to a client of mine.
colintivy
Rising Star

I am using Immunet3.1 as a replacement for AVG. The latter seemed to take ages to finish scanning every time I powered up XP SP3, definitley a "put  the kettle time" variety. Since moving on I am at work quicker, as it is not worth getting off the chair. So far my experience is very positive.
Cheesy
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: colintivy
I am using Immunet3.1 as a replacement for AVG. The latter seemed to take ages to finish scanning every time I powered up XP SP3,
Cheesy

In the set up on AVG, you can specify when to run the scans..... It is normally , by default, "At startup".... and therefore you will experience a long startup time.... If you schedule your daily scan to (say) 10.00 then your computer will start up and be ready to use so much sooner.... Wink