Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free anti spyware

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Free anti spyware

I have been using AVG ( the anti virus is so good so that's why I went for it) but the lack of free automatic updates and the problems with manual updates means there must be a better way.
Also use Spybot 1.5 but since I upgraded from1.4 it doesnt find anything which undermoines my confidence.
ccassionally use Windows defender but that seems lightweight too.
So - what  would be your suggestion for a reliable powerful and free antispyware prog?
24 REPLIES 24
Not applicable

Re: Free anti spyware

Like you, I tried AVG spyware and liked it, but let it go because the real time scanning part de-activated after the trial period. I have my friends' (old and unpatched) computers running on Spywareblaster for the real-time scanning and Ad-aware SE Personal for the actual scanning. This has worked very well.
I have Vista and just use Defender, which I am very happy with so am not sure why you don't like it.
At the end of the day, the software is important but the best protection is the common sense of the user.
jazz
Grafter

I endorse the comments from Poppy.  I use AdAware and Spyblaster.  I also have Spybot 1.4 (I never upgraded to 1.5 as I read somewhere that it caused problems with Opera browser).  I also have Windows Defender.  I update them regularly and with those that don't run automatically I schedule them for running at least twice a week.
fransorci
Grafter

AVG now do a AVG Spyware Free - give that a go Smiley
Nick_Russell
Grafter

As the OP said he has tried this for the trail period and it was OK but was looking for a ongoing free anti spyware.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PJ
Which AVG do provide- there is a trial version of the paid for version but there's also a free version that isn't (AFAIK) time limited.

Downloading the updates is a bit hit and miss that's why I dont like it. Firstly you have to do it manually and secondly the server doesnt always grant access.
Think I'll uninstall it and rely in Defender, AdAware - Spybot is on a yellow card. Dont you think it's strange you get such inconsistent results
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I would strongly recommend AntiVir which is free of charge, does daily updates. I haven't used Windows for months but I found it good on Win98, XP - I haven't tried the Vista version - but that's because I would never install Vista Grin
See http://www.free-av.com/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
That wasn't a recommendation, I don't personally use it- the comment was aimed at informing Nick Russell since he doesn't seem to be aware that AVG do offer a free solution as well.

I am fully aware of AVG's products (both antivirus and anti-spyware) and use them on a laptop.
The OP is talking about anti-spyware and NOT anti-virus.
The AVG anti-spware can always be free but is only fully functional for 30 days.  That is to say that for 30 days you get automatic updates and on-line protection.  After this you have to manually update and you loose the on-line protection.  Te get these you have to use a paid for version.
James
Grafter

I generally use Spybot - Search & Destroy for the occasional spyware sweep.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have both AVG7 FREE, and AVG Antispyware version 7.5.1.43 free .... Yes the antispyware does need to be updated manually, however, I have just checked my last update  (17/12/2007) and have done an update five minutes ago. it took just over 15 seconds from clicking on the icon to completing the download & update..... if that is too much trouble then I worry for you ! !  Shocked Grin Roll_eyes
Oh yes ! I forgot to mention that it has 942,747 signatures on the database now so it must be pretty comprehensive ! !
Not applicable

Shutter - probably for most people (myself included), updating manually is not such a big problem. However, are you indicating that AVG Spyware programme is now free for the full version i.e. real time protection and scanning?
I only ask, because as I said before, last time I used it, the real time part packed in after the 30 day trial period although the programme was functioning for scanning (with manual updates).
Just wondered if there were any changes?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hi,  Don`t know about the version you got, I downloaded the free version.....  AVGAS 7.5.1.43 free    Is the title to look for.
Make sure it ends in the word free, and you should end up with the same version I have.... When I am bored, and have nothing to do,  I check it with Spybot S&D and also Emco Malware destroyer, and both come up with no problems....
Smiley
btw My original download date was 20 September 2007..... Which is more than 30 days ago..... I think !
I don`t worry about the "real time" protection with spyware.... just keep on top of it about once a week.
Not applicable

Have checked on grisoft.com and AVGAS remains as before - the free version does not offer Realtime Protection so I would imagine that Groundsman would be as well to stick with Windows Defender for this protection or else pay for the full version of AVG Anti-spyware. 
psk10
Grafter

A good free Antispyware program is
www.spywareterminator.com but if you have already got an antivirus program running on your pc disable the antivirus on it ,as for spyware protection i use several including Adaware you can find them all at www.download.com
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
I have both AVG7 FREE, and AVG Antispyware version 7.5.1.43 free .... Yes the antispyware does need to be updated manually...etc

Updating is not the problem.  Spybot and Ad-aware have to be updated manually.  The problem is the fact that the free AVG version does not offer real time protection and a full scan takes HOURS to run.