cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Virus SitesI

valart
Grafter

Free Virus SitesI

I have a new laptop and it came with a months free McAfee program it is two weeks old and I am getting messages to pay for a years upgrade,I wonder if I should download a free virus program or pay £35 are the free virus programs just as good.
10 REPLIES 10
CX
Grafter

Re: Free Virus SitesI

I'd pass. Back in 1999 McAfee Antivirus was fairly good, and by 2001 had become practically unusable. Every few years I have a look at the latest trial version, and every time come away feeling underwhelmed, be it from the performance hit, rubbish user interface or random system issues.
There are plenty of decent free alternatives now, such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast! and AVG.
In the commercial/paid antivirus, you could get Norton Antivirus from somewhere like Amazon for less than what you've been quoted for the (in my opinion) inferior McAfee. For example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norton-Internet-Security-Computers-Subscription/dp/B005INFE3M/ref=pd_cp_sw_h...
I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. Picking antivirus can be like choosing a car.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi there
For a free Anti-Virus i would recommend Avast
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Or get Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 from Amazon £12.04 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-2012-License/dp/B004YZRFDW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qi... and use the code for KIS 2013
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

MSE its FREE  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

And you might want to add a free firewall................. Comodo for example
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mav
Fixes: 515

Quote from: gleneagles
And you might want to add a free firewall

With a new laptop probably running W7 home then there is no need to install a firewall as W7's is more than adequate plus if connected via a router then that includes a firewall as well.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Been using FREE anti virus programs for years... first was AVG 4... many years ago... now using AVAST... never had any problems with either.. ( Except AVG made the laptop run slow when scanning, or slow startup )... no virus has got thru ....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/pc-security/mse.aspx is the least bothersome of the free anti-virus programs because it does not have an agenda to persuade you to buy a "superior" version.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

MSE definitely and also malwarebytes anti-malware.
The free version of malwarebytes is the same as the paid one, without the autorun option.  Just remember to run it periodically.  I have been running MSE with a weekly scan of Malwarebytes and had no problems at all. Smiley
DelphGeek
Grafter

Hi. I'm a computer fixer and more.
My experience of both McAfee and Norton is that though they tend to be pre installed on most computers these days, that does not make them better. It's a "kickback" to the manufacturer of the hardware if you buy it. In fact MCafee has a very poor rating. And Plusnet want you to use it. Kickback? Cheap?
Both of the above are the ones I REMOVE from most from my clients computers. If you really must use Windows (and many these days don't) then try something else but do make sure that the current anti virus software vendors don't automatically charge you as they have with many of my clients.
Better still, go to Distrowatch.com and browse the Linux distributions on offer. Download and burn one to a CD or DVD and try before you decide. Free, no antivirus required, (Linux doesn't tolerate viruses) run it from a CD/DVD and try before you install alongside Windows or as a direct replacement. Dozens of my clients have done so with my help and regret that they didn't switch to Linux years ago. Linux Mint has a good reputation as easy, ready to run immediately, completely free to use and give away and supported for many years to come.
If you are worried about viruses, malware and spyware, get rid of the World's best virus magnet and be free forever. No more expensive upgrades of the OS or Office. All free, all safe, all moral. Try saying no to the shareholders.
Long way of saying avoid poor quality and expensive junk at all costs.  Here's my suggestion. Avast is free and works well, Kaspersky is paid for but has an excellent reputation. For my Windows clients I always recommend Kaspersky.
Best wishes.
DelphGeek