Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free, Simple, File encryption Software recommendations, Please

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Free, Simple, File encryption Software recommendations, Please

I have some files, I would like to encrypt, and been looking for a free file encryption software.... AXCRYPT seems to do what I want, however, I can`t install it, cos there seems to be something wrong with the download, at the "choose" what to install bit....(i.e. real player) although the text is there to "decline" ,,... there is no "button" to select that, and it will go no further...
AEScrypt, says it leaves the plain original on the hard drive.... so it is not really an encryption program, (to me) ... and it recommends that a "purge" of the harddrive is carried out, after encryption... How do I do that?
And, as the title ..... has anyone a recommendation for an encryption program that is simple to use, and removes the original from the HDD  ?
10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Free, Simple, File encryption Software recommendations, Please

The free version of WinRar will do what you require - download one of the top two files depending on OS (assuming you're using Windows).
If you don't want to compress the files then set the Compression Method in the General tab to 'Store'. There is also an option to delete the file after archiving.
Under the Advanced tab you can set a password which would need to be entered to view the files at a later stage.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Mav beat me to it Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

7-Zip does it as well and is totally free
I thought WinRar was only free for a trial period of 40 days
Mav
Fixes: 515

You do get a pop up each time you run it asking you to buy a licence but simply clicking Cancel allows you to continue using it without issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Thanks... very much... will have a look see...
With 7 Zip... If someone has this prog, how easy would it be to decrypt ? are they password protected when encrypting?  and need the password to decrypt?
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.. Thanks guys... have downloaded and installed 7-zip... works well...and in answer to my question above....YES !.. it does need password access both ways !..
TORPC
Grafter

[Sarcastic mode]
Use or not the free lastpass to remember those passwords
Tutorials found here
[Gets coat]

shutter
Community Veteran

No need to remember them.... I have a notebook in the top drawer of my desk... which lists all my passwords... .... Mind you... it gets a bit difficult sometimes, when I am away from home, and leave the notebook behind....  Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I personally use TrueCrypt. Not only can you run it without installing but it has a variety of advanced options including creating hidden partitions inside encrypted files meaning that even if the authorities force you to decrypt a file, you can still legitimately hide files inside it that will not appear to be there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MrT
Grafter

I am also a Truecrypt user. It is available from http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads
It is simple to use and is definitely worth considering.  Smiley